Just back from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom and Cheryl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Cheryl and I have just returned from a great week in Cozumel. We stayed at Iberostar and what a great resort. The lush gardens and the amenities were great. We dove with Dressel divers and pre paid for our dives which saved us 15% on both the dives and the equipment rental. We made 10 dives during the week, one afternoon dive for our first dive at Columbia Shallows and a great dive at Palacar gardens. We did a night dive which we saw some lobsters and crab, it was our first night dive but was still great. The rest of the week was great also, the only problem that we had was on Thursday we were on Santa Rosa Wall and a group of 12 plus people from some little boat came smiwing right thru us. They were brushing the sand off the coral and had no care for the 8 of us that were already at the spot. When we came up, all of us on the boat said we wanted to go somewhere that we didn't run into all the inconsiderate divers so we agreed to go to Jurassic Park (north of Planacar Gradens). We had a fantastic dive with no one else on the reef. I can not say enough about Dressel Diving,they never cut a dive short because someone needed to come up early. Cheryl and I came up a couple of time early and we just waited until the last person was out of the water. The boats are great and if you are staying at the resort it is nice to come back to the resort between dives to use the bathrooms or stop at your room. Better than hanging out on the boat or stopping on a beach that you don't know. My last comments are going to be about the new SeaLife mini camera that I brought to Cozumel. What a great little camera. We got some very good photo's and did some good video. We will post pictures on Suba Board as we get things sorted out. If anyone wants a great dive experience in Cozmel and a stay at a wonderful resort we highly recommend Iberostar and Dressel Diving. We hope that everyone enjoy's their trip to Coz.

Tom and Cheryl

Cheryl and I have just returned from a great week in Cozumel. ............. We hope that everyone enjoy's their trip to Coz.

Tom and Cheryl

It's great to hear reports like this one and proves that ANY diver can come to Cozumel , stay in a great hotel and have a spectacular diving experience. Wonderful.

Man I can't wait till the end of December! Glad to hear you had a great time, I'm looking forward to sharing whatever my experience ends up being when I get back. :)

I too had a Great Experience with Dressel, at the Iberostar.

I learned more diving technique in a week wtih DM Rob, than I had in a year at home!

Put it this way... First dive of the week I had 16lbs of weight. By the end of the week I was down to 10 lbs.!!! And it's all becasue of Rob teaching me more about boyancy control.

So I take it that there was little or no residual underwater damage from the previous hurricane seasons? Or did you not stop to ask for comparisons by the locals?

And was all your diving on reefs? Or did you also drift dive as well?

I am surprised that you did not add any beach diving to your boat trips. 10 dives in a week does not strike me as a lot. Reason?

We (our group) will be going there in April 2009.

So requesting feedback.

Great report, Sounds like a great time. I can't wait till I get back there.

So I take it that there was little or no residual underwater damage from the previous hurricane seasons? Or did you not stop to ask for comparisons by the locals?

I am surprised that you did not add any beach diving to your boat trips. 10 dives in a week does not strike me as a lot. Reason?

So requesting feedback.

1. You would not know there was damage if you have never been there. Why worry about it?
2. The whole island is a reef. That's all you do is drift dive the reefs of Cozumel, unless you want to be foolish and swim agains the current.
3. You can't just head out on any beach you want in Coz to beach dive. It is protected and you must dive with dive masters that have a lisence. You can beach dive from Papa Hogs and head north though.
If you want to do anything on the island then 10 dives is a lot to do and then explore the island after each dive day. I dive 3-4 dives a day when I first get there to get it out of the system (1wk). Then start tappering off so my wife will keep paying for the dives. wk 2-3. kev

So requesting feedback.

Since Emily (July 2005) and Wilma (2005), the condition of Cozumel's reefs have greatly improved. DH and I have made several trips since those storms and we have seen the reefs come alive. In fact, we feel very fortunate that we have been able to follow the progression of the reefs as they are reborn. There is Little residual damage that can be found and then if you are only looking for it. Otherwise, as mother nature has a tendency to do, the ecosystem has recovered very well.

Most of Cozumel diving is drift. Sometimes slow and then sometimes at superman speed. There is no way of knowing what you are in for until you get there. This is one of the pleasures of diving Cozumel. In addition of course there is such a wide range of diving from sand shallows, coral shallows, walls, huge corals and swim through and even wreck. Shore diving is not however what Cozumel is known for. Of course, there are areas that divers find some very good shore diving. In fact some of the most amazing photos that have been posted here on Scubaboard are from shore dives. Overall though, boat diving is King in Cozumel. Contact your dive op to find out how you go about obtain tanks for some shore diving.

Have a wonderful Cozumel diving trip. Sue

Yeah, what Sue said. We've been 4 times since Wilma watching the progression and lately, it's been difficult to notice any damage. If you've never been, you wont know a difference. To a new diver, 10 dives can seem like a lot. FWIW, I don't think I've done more than 15 in a week but I also enjoy my time out of the water as well.

Went to Iberostar this last July. .it was alright. .did not like the attitude of Dressel so we had our usuals come pick us up from the resort dock.. had a good time..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom