Just a simple request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I owe those who frequent this particular subforum an apology for my role in the hijack (read off-topic posts) that led up to the closing off the quick disconnect thread.

Please be assured that it wasn't done because this is the DIR forum, I hold no dislike for the DIR diving philosiphy.

I posted in the spirit of fun, and didn't consider all of the side effects.

And I apologize.

Sincerely (for a short time),

David

jonnythan:
We've had a large amount of.. well, trash in the DIR forum as of late.

I would personally appreciate it if the users of SB made an effort keep the trolling and totally off-topic posts to a minimum so as to maintain the intent of the forum.

Even if you've been here for a while, please go and re-read the stickies at the top of the DIR forum.

This is not an official ScubaBoard staff announcement, just a reuqest from a poster.

This thread is too funny...in oh so many ways.

Whos to judge whats trolling in this forum?

because that leads to....

Who's to judge whats DIR (and what isn't)?

which then leads to ...

Is this something I can learn over the internet?

But I'm sure the call out to all those people not to post will make it oh so much better.

But if wrestling a multi-headed hydra suits your fancy, go for it. :wink:

CALI68:
and the answers should be based in DIR/GUE fact.
DIR/Gue Fact????? Too funny. Keeping up on current affairs? Have you been Downtown?

JeffG:
This thread is too funny...in oh so many ways.

because that leads to....

Who's to judge whats DIR (and what isn't)?

which then leads to ...

Is this something I can learn over the internet?

But I'm sure the call out to all those people not to post will make it oh so much better.

But if wrestling a multi-headed hydra suits your fancy, go for it. :wink:
Well, Jeff, there is a good description of trolling in the stickies I already asked you to read.

Intelligent debate over whether something is DIR is obviously acceptable. I'm well aware of the schisms within the community, as are you.

All I'm asking for, Jeff, is a little consideration.

Question:
JeffG:
Answer:

jonnythan

Consider the multi-headed hydras on notice.

:D

Rick Inman:
Consider the multi-headed hydras on notice.

:D
Hm.. I think he was referring to DIR as the "multi-headed hydra"... but fortunately I don't have to decide what's DIR and what's not. I do get to decide what *isn't* though (think Spare Air and pony bottles)... and I [along with the rest of the mods] get to decide what trolling is.

jonnythan:
Well, Jeff, there is a good description of trolling in the stickies I already asked you to read.
BS...If it doesn't fit your model, its trolling. Good way to look at it. If that is the case, why don't you lock it down (the DIR forum) and have people ask permission to be able to post. That way you can only allow the viewpoints/personalities that you want in there.

jonnythan:
Intelligent debate over whether something is DIR is obviously acceptable. I'm well aware of the schisms within the community, as are you.
Do you see the fundamental flaw here?

jonnythan:
All I'm asking for, Jeff, is a little consideration.
I call it a pipe dream

jonnythan:
Hm.. I think he was referring to DIR as the "multi-headed hydra"...
Not really. I was referring to the precarious position the DIR forum is in (given its "No Troll" zone setting and internet forums in general) and the resulting behavior.

Jeff... with all due respect, you don't get to see the majority of the posts we consider trolls because myself or another mod gets rid of them.

FWIW this wasn't directed at all at you. Personally I'm very happy that you're around, particularly as a reality check.

Here are a couple of examples posted recently just so you can maybe understand better how much work we do to keep the forum readable and allow you to make such judgements.
Naw, I am having too much fun defying authority to have to stop now.
The laminations can fail on a tri-lam suit as well as the joints, which introduces numerous uneeded points of failure. That is why they are not DIR. Also latex neck seals are not DIR, because they are not sturdy enough to withstand the rigors of sharp jagged steel of wrecks and underwater sharp rock projections in caving.

The only drysuits that come close to DIR is vulcanized rubber drysuits because they eliminate most seams, but only if they have neoprene neck seals.

Because wetsuits have always been the standard, this standardization, an anchoring fundamental of DIR is why wetsuits are DIR and everything else is not.
Jeff, if you want to call these posts that "don't fit my model" and are therefore trolling go right ahead. These, along with 20 1-word posts from people playing the "increase your post count" game, were all I've gotten rid of. You can look at almost any other thread in this forum to see how tolerant we are of differing viewpoints and disagreements. The posts above are what I'm trying to avoid.

I'm going to close this thread because it's getting away from my intended topic and notice which was simply "be nice, don't troll, read the stickies." If anyone has anything else to say, please PM me directly or bring it up in another thread.

Thanks.

Before we all crucify Jeff for being an illiterate drunk (:wink:), he just sent me a PM apologizing for misreading the thread. He thought he was being singled out, and, being the intelligent and critically-thinking guy that he is, fairly challenged what I said. Of course, he wasn't being singled out at all, but some of the people whose posts were deleted over the weekend (see above post) were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom