Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7/1/2023 report:

........ and all the normal reef critters.
Topside cameras look just pancake flat. Rainy season looks to be slowing down so hopefully viz improves.

I haven’t dived the west Palm/Jupiter area for about twenty five years when my then-girfriend/dive buddy and I spent a night in WP on the way back from a trip. On the spur of the moment we booked onto a two tank dive, one of which was the drift at “Bath and Tennis”. I still remember that dive fondly for all the great fish life we saw.

Anyway, I’ve been in touch with Calypso DC and they say they still do that dive often and that the water temps stay at 80 until December. I’m not interested in a shark dive per se (been there, done that, got the T shirt) so won’t be going shark feeding/baiting, but don’t fear being in the water with sharks that aren’t behaving aggressively. See image below from Nassau last month.

After all this intro, my question is, what are my chances of getting a couple of good days (probably mid-week) in say, early November if I go to Riviera Beach and book with Calypso? I’d especially like to hear from locals or repeat divers in this scenario.

Thanks in advance,
🐸

Attachments

• MICR0291.jpeg
    MICR0291.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 27
I haven’t dived the west Palm/Jupiter area for about twenty five years when my then-girfriend/dive buddy and I spent a night in WP on the way back from a trip. On the spur of the moment we booked onto a two tank dive, one of which was the drift at “Bath and Tennis”. I still remember that dive fondly for all the great fish life we saw.

Anyway, I’ve been in touch with Calypso DC and they say they still do that dive often and that the water temps stay at 80 until December. I’m not interested in a shark dive per se (been there, done that, got the T shirt) so won’t be going shark feeding/baiting, but don’t fear being in the water with sharks that aren’t behaving aggressively. See image below from Nassau last month.

After all this intro, my question is, what are my chances of getting a couple of good days (probably mid-week) in say, early November if I go to Riviera Beach and book with Calypso? I’d especially like to hear from locals or repeat divers in this scenario.

Thanks in advance,
🐸
Weather wise your chances are good in November. Hurricane season will be winding down and winter winds usually arrive later. As for Calypso going to a particular site on a particular day, I am not sure. I usually dive in Jupiter and they are semi receptive for particular dive sites requests.

Hi @Green Frog

I do quite a lot of diving in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and Palm Beach. There are many good operators in Palm Beach, I use Narcosis, Walker's Charters and Pura Vida. Calypso is in the same marina as the 1st two. All the operators go to the same general sites.

In the fall, particularly later fall, the sea conditions become less predictable for diving. Best of luck for your planned dives.

... what are my chances of getting a couple of good days (probably mid-week) in say, early November
@svs & @scubadada gave excellent advise on the weather. I just wanted to add that routinely in the 1st week of November we see a bottom dive temperature drop from 77 down to 73. This drop is good though because it really increases the fish migration from the north traveling to the south's warmer waters..

Chances are good that you’ll make it out in November. It may not be the flattest day of the year but if you give yourself a window of a couple of days, November is usually very dive-able. November has been when I transition back to a 5mil wetsuit as the temps may start to dip below 80 later in the month. High 70s is still very comfortable, though. All the WPB dive boats visit bath and tennis. If you ask the captain and crew, they will usually try to accommodate your request as long as conditions warrant. If not, there are several other similar reef sites in the area that they are likely to take you to.

If you ask the captain and crew, they will usually try to accommodate your request as long as conditions warrant. If not, there are several other similar reef sites in the area that they are likely to take you to.

Especially if you bribe them with fresh, hot food as I've learned from @Johnoly, our local Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I
Thanks everyone. Sounds like if I try to get there a little earlier (late October) I might do better(?)
🐸
I think you’ll be ok in early November. It’s so hard to predict what it will be like on any given week so best to just pick a week that works with your schedule.

Anyone have a recent conditions report? Vis at bhb was decent last night, and I'm hoping that means increased vis offshore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom