Jupiter area dive recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie,

You can easily do nitrox before your trip, do the course online and then go to your LDS to analyze a couple of tanks. My wife did this with PADI several years ago, quick and easy. I believe other agencies do the same.

Jupiter would be fine, assuming you're nitrox certified, but the reef dives are more like 65-85 feet. I would also recommend JDC, you could stay with the guide they put in on every dive. You might also consider Boynton Beach, reef is 50-65 feet, gorgeous, loaded with fish. I use Underwater Explorers, Loggerhead, and Starfish

Good diving, Craig

Thanks for the input.

My LDS, is not so local...lol. About 2 hrs away for me. Also not enough time to do this as we leave this Sunday to head to Venice Beach for 5 nights for some Meg tooth diving and then head across the state to Pompano Beach for 12 nights.

I will check with some LDS in South Florida about the Nitrox cert. I may go ahead and do it while I'm down there on vacation.

Between Venice and Pompano, it sounds like you might get another 10 or 15 dives done before you head to Jupiter: 25 dives total is better than just 10 when you're headed to a place like Jupiter. The online nitrox course is pretty easy, you might get it done on your computer while in Venice one evening then learn how to analyze tanks with a Pompano operator or with Sheeper or JDC or whoever use in Jupiter.

Do the Nitrox online and finish up with sheeper or anyone down there. I did it this past January and it was a good choice. The dives from Jupiter are great and to mix it up definitely do blue heron bridge. You don't have to hug the bottom at 95 ft out of Jupiter, ride higher if you want. The water is clear enough so if you want to drop down and push the 60' limit give it a try it's not that much of a violation of your training.

Just keep an eye on your tank pressure...

Another vote for Nitrox before your trip. Especially if you plan to do Jupiter. My recommendation, add in West Palm Beach dives including Blue Heron Bridge. WPB is a great alternative to Jupiter. There are many dive ops that leave from two marinas a stone's throw from the bridge. From WPB they can head north toward Jupiter or south toward Pompano depending on divers and conditions.

And there are some excellent popular reefs there at about 60 feet. And most of the deeper reefs in that area have a ledge that starts around 60 but then it may be 90 to 100 to the sand so just stay at your comfort level. And if you are there for 2 weeks you might want to consider getting your AOW. Lots of great instructors in the area.

Honestly, any of the shops near BHB and boats out of WPB aND Jupiter are great. The boats and the dive sites are all good. Like uncfp said, it is 60' to the reef and 90' to the sand so pick your point. If you see something interesting go down. If you are conserving gas, stay up.nitrox helps. Relax and have fun.

BHB is definately on the to do list.
I think I will end up doing the Nitrox online and finish up with a LDS when I get to South FL.
I plan on using my own tanks, when possible; since I'm used to the buoancy and mainly the extra air. I have HP100 & HP120 steel tanks.

Weather permitting in Venice, I will probably do 7-10 beach dives and at least 1 boat dive while we are there. Once we get to Pompano, I've already got a list of beach dive locations I want to hit up. I could see myself doing 12-15 beach dives while there. Planning on a few boat dives as well and I want to do a Jupiter area as well.

Thanks again for the input everyone, it's much appreciated.

It's going to be a different world than the low viz lake diving I've been doing here in South Carolina, lol.

Honestly, any of the shops near BHB and boats out of WPB aND Jupiter are great. The boats and the dive sites are all good. Like uncfp said, it is 60' to the reef and 90' to the sand so pick your point. If you see something interesting go down. If you are conserving gas, stay up.nitrox helps. Relax and have fun.

There are many, many operators out of SE FL. They are not equal. I would pay attention to local recommendations rather than an inexperienced diver from N Jersey.

There are many, many operators out of SE FL. They are not equal. I would pay attention to local recommendations rather than an inexperienced diver from N Jersey.

Point taken.

I've already hit up Sheeper, I'm sure I will dive with them. Undecided on others as of this moment, but will firm up a few boat trips next week while I'm in Venice Beach.

Op, you will get alot of good local recommedations here. I did when i was doing the same thing as you and only tried to pass on some of the same infomatIon that i found. Enjoy your dives down there!

Op, you will get alot of good local recommedations here. I did when i was doing the same thing as you and only tried to pass on some of the same infomatIon that i found. Enjoy your dives down there!

Thanks KDAD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom