Jupiter 01-21-06 Lemon SHARKS!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
What were the seas like? It was too gnarly down here to go out. Looks nasty tomorrow also.
It was a little rough 4-6' + ... A few yackers (not me - heh heh)... The viz was really good... the water is BLUE again!

Wonderful video, Howard. Great scene with the school of spades and the ray stuff was super, too.

No cherry sharks?

OMG!!!!! Ya'll missed the dive of a life time today. We had a few rollers when we first got out of the inlet, but things calmed down nicely as the day went on. The second we dropped, I could look straight down and see the reef (AMAZING VIZ). Water temps at 73, air temps nice and warm with a mild north current. The viz was top to bottom with a minimum of 80 foot horizontal viz. Reminded me a lot of Cozumel diving

We saw it all down there; sharks, turtles, eels, tons of giant snook, Jew Fish, stingrays, spade fish, and oh, did I mention the two hammerhead sharks.... H-E-L-L-O, my first hammerheads and they were absolutely gorgeous. I was dancing the jig down there after seeing them (I actually only saw the large one, others saw both).

This was the best dive I've had in a really long time. Whenever you can no longer keep track of how many sharks you see in any one dive, it's a good day.

Madeline.... :laughing: I'll never forget that bull shark for the rest of my life. We were at the Tunnels (my favorite spot), I went down into one of the swim throughs, unbeknown to me that there would be a nice size bull shark wanting to come into that very same swim through, just on the opposite direction. After about 3 of the longest seconds of my life, we both went the other way. Nothing like looking a the pretty Jew fish then turning the other way only to find your self face to face with a bull.

I'm so in love with Jupiter, this is a must do dive folks.
I loved having all the SB’ers on the boat, the perfect way to celebrate my first day working with Captain Paul on The Temptation and with Coby at Scuba Works, I can’t think of any other group I would have rather of been with. So yes, it is official, I am indeed the newest addition into the Scuba Works family :chicken: I’m super excited, anyone whose every met those two will know why!

Okay, I have to do some bragging now so bare with me… MY dive master candidate absolutely floored me today (he can elaborate with further details when he gets online). Check this out. He’s down there diving away and spots a lobster. He’s only armed with his lobster gage and a pair of gloved hands. I guess he tried to grab it by the antennas and brutal ended up tearing one off. Well with no tickle stick on hand, he refused to let that antenna go to waste as he proceeds to use it as he’s (in a pinch) stick. He managed to grab that lively bug with his hands and hold onto it. Okay, here’s when I was floored by his ability to operate under pressure.

He’s at say 75 feet, time to come up with lobster in hand when all of a sudden, a weight belt lands near him. He’s smart enough to know it probably belongs to someone on the boat and decides to bring it up. So now he has a lobster in one hand (no bag) and proceeds to attach his 50lb lift bag to the weight belt (one handed folks). Everything attached nicely, he need to not only add air to the lift bag, but only enough to keep it neutrally buoyant in order to avoid a run away ascent. So visualize this. He’s ascending, lobster in one hand, reel and lift bag with weights in the other hand, he has to vent the bag all the way up, as well as venting his own bcd and watching his ascent rate. After making his safety stop, he surfaces and gives me the big OK sign and the boat comes to pick him up. I saw the lobster first and went down on the platform to retrieve it for him, and that’s when I see the weight belt attached to his lift bag.

Not only did he handle the situation with grace and safety beyond my expectation, but he also managed to smile through the entire thing!

Kudos Eric! You rock man!!

Howard,
That video was amazing! Was great to finally meet you and Michelle, ya'll are awesome divers even if I was cold and you weren't :laughing:

Still trying to properly ID the Howard shark species, I think it's a new one :sharks: ... That was so damn funny, I almost drowned myself from laughing..

Lunch was awesome, my first time eating Mexican food and it was YummmmmmmmmY!!
Keep on your wife about posting, we want to hear from her to..
Hope ya'll can make it back out with us on the 4th.

diver doh:
@^#(%^%#%&^$$%$#

I just KNEW that I had screwed up when I missed getting on this trip!

:pftroest: there... there... my friend, you'll just have to do a repeat with us again on the 4th..

baitedstorm:
WOW!

Bad day to be dry! Hammers! Bull! Vis!

Great story about Eric. And kudos, BS, on landing the gig with Paul.

I'll be there next Sat. pm and on the 4th in the am.

wooohooo Gabe! I'll be in the store next Saturday doing my SSI Instructor cross over course with Coby.. But I'm diving on the 4th in the am so I'll finally get to meet you then..

Summer diving in the Winter! Well we had winter seas in conditons that are described by seafarers as Heaving seas. I am not a great guestimator but would say several where 6'+ nice big steep ones.

Captain Paul had a date with his tailor so he handed the throttle over to Captain Don. I knew that Paul would never turn the boat over to anyone that was less of a Captain than himself, and I trust him. Paul would make sure that nothing happens at sea, he does after all, love that boat. :D

The first drop was south of Spade Fish which still had lots of spade fish to see. I had some close face time with several spotted eels. Turtles were everywhere to be seen. Sleeping under the ledge and free swimming around. All the divers where together and drifting along nicely between the two DM's so I goofed off a bit peering into the homes of the little guys. Then toward the end of the dive I see a nice sized lobster. I sneak up to it (it is a special fin kick called FUDDing, as in Elmer) and postion just right to thrust my hand in and come back with a leg and a whip. I use the whip to tickle the critter to the other side and, just like Cain snatching the pebble from his masters hand, I grab the delicious critter. He is twisting and making that aweful noise but he is caught. I now swim for about 200 yards to catch the group. It is near the :45 min mark so we all start up then I see a weight belt so I swim over lobster in hand still squirming. I rig the bag to the belt and puff in a small shot of air. After three more it is nuetral. I take hold of the vent cord and up we go. Mr Lobster man's my shoulder dump valve (left hand) and I vent the bag(right hand). Finally at about 35' I use my jump reel to deploy the marker (lift bag) and now just have to spool in with "Lobby" (we are getting close at this point) and he keeps trying to get a leg into my reel wraps. Finally at the surface the boat comes right to me and the crew relieves me of the bag, reel, lobster and extra wieght belt.

Drop two "The tunnels"
SHARKS! We saw the two hammerheads that BS got to see one VERY close. Lemon sharks, Reef sharks, Black tips, nurse sharks many turtles, large grouper. Michelle pointed to a cleverly hid Green Moray. One of the hammerheads buzzed the group and passed right over my head glad I left my snorkel on the boat it might have bumped his nose. The group overall was very good divers. HowardE and Michelle were experts in there NEW DUI dry suit with perfect ascents camera gear and all. In true MOF form this was his third and forth dry suit dive without any specialty dry suit class. Michelle vowed to never dive wet again. BTW she can really liven up a dive boat, the dive, and the after dive lunch debrief. If you ever get the chance to dive with these two i guarantee a good time. Just be cautious because they will get a shot of you on film and video if you break any of Neptunes laws.

I am off now to see if I can squeeze in more dives this week. See you all down there!

Eric

PS Feburay 4th still has a few spots left!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom