July - Diving Solo - Cozumel, then Mujeres or Holbox - Looking for Op, Advice, Etc!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you get the PADI Nitrox book and do most of the work and then just quickly pass the test now days? My LDC (which isnt that local) sold me the book and I drove down and tested with an instructor in like 20 minutes.

If the nitrox course is still just book learning and a test, I agree. Do it at home if possible and reduce the amount of reading you have to do there.

When I stayed at the Galapago Inn (now SCC) there was a person diving with them who was staying at another nearby hotel. Ask if they still allow that. My view is that if you stay at SCC, no other dive ops pick up there. Of course you could stay there and walk into town to be picked up or take a taxi to the caleta.

Can you get the PADI Nitrox book and do most of the work and then just quickly pass the test now days? My LDC (which isnt that local) sold me the book and I drove down and tested with an instructor in like 20 minutes.
The Padi course does not require any dives and can be done in class, or maybe that way. Some shops are including dives to justify charging more, but it was pretty pointless when I did it under the old requirements.

And I am working on 2 private boats for whale sharking. Probably day trips out of Cozumel, catching the boat in Cancun. If you are interested, we might have space.
A day trip from Coz is better than nothing, but it's a long, hard day. I'd rather sleep on IM the night before going out, and stay to swim with the Dominoes more than one day - like she wants to do. :thumb:

The Padi course does not require any dives and can be done in class, or maybe that way. Some shops are including dives to justify charging more, but it was pretty pointless when I did it under the old requirements.

Oh, yea, exactly. My (not so local) LDS subscribes to the model of you do all the work ahead of time and then come here and show me you know how. I actually kinda of like that. OW was 2 days. I think they do it ONE day now. Not including check out dives, just pool work.

I am thinking of taking rescue with them but of course my gear is in Coz.

A day trip from Coz is better than nothing, but it's a long, hard day. I'd rather sleep on IM the night before going out, and stay to swim with the Dominoes more than one day - like she wants to do. :thumb:

I hear ya. The plan WAS to overnight, but it was becoming a pain. I am Julie the cruise director on the this one and I have to keep the price under control. Plus the missus' parents will be staying in Coz, so this also allows us to get back to them same day.

We are also looking at a day trip to Tulum and Coba one day so that is another one. I still haven't looked at a snorkel / booze cruise. I am thinking of working with Tiger just to shock the crap out of them. Maybe that is too much though?

Plus I got sneak out and take the nephews diving. I might private charter the Maximus (Scuba with Alison) for a day and combine them snorkeling CS and Paradise while we dive them? My niece too might be up to a discover scuba class.

Yo homies...

PADI E-Learning

So, I suggested that to the Dive Op I've contacted (to do E-Learning and then come in to the water portion), and they didn't recommend that. Saying that it may save me time, but not money. I got the feeling that they want me to do the courses all with them, and not E-learning before I arrive. I'm confused by this. Do the Dive Ops don't get compensated if their divers do the E-learning? In other words, do they lose out majorly?

IM
I'm joining a group for 4 days of domino swimming, but wanted to add an extra day or 2 to relax and maybe get in another day of domino swimming (yes i love dominos), but if the trip is too tight as I want to do the Cenotes, I might cut that back by a day. Let me think about it.

Getting there
DD: Since my dates have changed, I'll now be flying out YYZ instead of SFO.

Ugh.. waiting for responses from accommodations is painful :p :wink:

M

Got Skype? Easy phone call.

PADI E-Learning
So, I suggested that to the Dive Op I've contacted (to do E-Learning and then come in to the water portion), and they didn't recommend that. Saying that it may save me time, but not money. I got the feeling that they want me to do the courses all with them, and not E-learning before I arrive. I'm confused by this. Do the Dive Ops don't get compensated if their divers do the E-learning? In other words, do they lose out majorly?

E learning for what? Nitrox diver? Do you have a dive shop at home? Ask them the cheapest way to do it.

IM
I'm joining a group for 4 days of domino swimming, but wanted to add an extra day or 2 to relax and maybe get in another day of domino swimming (yes i love dominos), but if the trip is too tight as I want to do the Cenotes, I might cut that back by a day. Let me think about it.

You can see cenotes starting on Isla Mujeres. It will take a bit longer than if you were in Playa del Carmen, but if you have a delay in seeing whale sharks, make that day a cenote day.

M

More text added....

Last edited:
Yo homies...

PADI E-Learning

If he said it will save you time but not money, it sounds like they are saying it would be cheaper to do the courses with them. However, when I'm on vacation, time is what I'm short of. It might still be worth it to do e-learning.

It looks like, based on what you wrote, this is about YOUR money; not theirs. (It's also possible they have negative experience with people who did e-learning, because they didn't really soak in the information correctly. I know the OW people who joined us for check-out dives seemed to be missing some vital information, despite passing the elearning tests.)

I'll be doing my nitrox class while in Coz in August. I contacted the dive shop about getting the materials before I arrive. Me - "Would I be able to do the “book” part of the course before arriving and do the “practical” part of the course on Sunday (in addition to the SCUBA Review)?"

Their response - "As for the preparation before the classes, well, the thing will be to have the books before your arrival and that you have read them. Which will help in the process; but we are providing those at your arrival." It seems like there would be no adjustment in cost if I were to purchase the materials on my own. The class is scheduled for 2 hours and the cost also include 2 dives after the class, so the time factor is not a consideration for me.

I'll be doing my nitrox class while in Coz in August. I contacted the dive shop about getting the materials before I arrive. Me - "Would I be able to do the “book” part of the course before arriving and do the “practical” part of the course on Sunday (in addition to the SCUBA Review)?"

Their response - "As for the preparation before the classes, well, the thing will be to have the books before your arrival and that you have read them. Which will help in the process; but we are providing those at your arrival." It seems like there would be no adjustment in cost if I were to purchase the materials on my own. The class is scheduled for 2 hours and the cost also include 2 dives after the class, so the time factor is not a consideration for me.

I am trying to remember, but there is a thing with PADI about buying the books. Like every new copy of a book comes with a sticker or something so it can only be used once for a course I think? If you buy the book, you have to bring the sticker. If the OP provides the book, they already removed it. I believe the purpose is to make sure PADI gets to sell one book to EVERY student.

And splitting it with e-learning I am sure means PADI gets more of the money and the OP less. Someone has to pay PADI for all the online stuff.

And I gotta say I have a hard time thinking it is a good idea to do rescue while on vakay in MX. You lose so much reef time. I go alot to CZM and I am still thinking of doing in some crappy shore dive in MD rather than waste Coz days. And with my LDS model of low instruction time, I can kill it in a weekend I think.

I agree that vacation is not a good time for rescue checkout (or coursework). Those check out dives can be stressful and there is no extra time to look around like for other certification dives. That is a good class to take at home and check out in a crappy-vis lake where you can totally focus on the task at hand.

Nitrox on the other hand, was quick and painless. I just got certified by Servando at Tres Pelicanos. The cost was $149 which included the books (that they mailed to me ahead of time) and 2 tanks. I spent maybe a half hour going over things with Servando when I got there (including testing tanks) and then another half hour or so on the test. I do not have my C-card yet, so by taking the course with my dive operator, I was able to continue to use nitrox on later dives.

I did my OW2 (NAUI) check out at La Ceiba in Cozumel in 1991. I think it was 4 shore dives for navigation, search and recovery, etc. That was an okay checkout on vacation. I did my Advanced checkout on a live-aboard in the Bahamas, and again, you could still have fun on those dives after performing the applicable skill. I would not want to do a rescue checkout while on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom