July 3 Jupiter Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterlover:
The dives were beautiful lots of big marine life and Warm water. My first trip on the Temptation and my last. I wouldn't recommend this boat to either novice or experienced divers. Bad Attitude on the part of the Bus Driver/Captain. Poor service from the crew towards all the passengers. Divemaster thumbed our 1st dive after 25 minutes@70ft. Everyone else got to stay down. Not sure what his problem was but didn't question his thumb. Overall Great dives just bad bus ride....
I fail to see the connection between the bus ride, Paul, and getting the thumb at 25 mins by the DM. If you are diving without a computer and on air, 20 to 25 mins in the max for safety. If you are diving Nitrox, but do not have a computer - buy one.

I dive this boat all the time and most of the DMs are excellent. I dive Nitrox (with a computer) using new steel 120s and I decided not to use stickers on my tank as they peel and look like crap in no time. The Nitrox sticker does not ensure that you have Nitrox and it is not required - only a properly analyzed tank witnessed by the diver ensures the proper mix.

So, one day I was diving on the 3 wrecks off Jupiter with my buddy and the DM gave me the thumb at 25 mins. I gave him the OK and stayed with my buddy who was also diving Nitrox (with a computer - he had a Nitrox sticker on his tank). We both headed for the surface at 45 mins. Back on the boat I told the DM I am diving Nitrox, with a computer, but I do not have stickers on my tanks. He seemed OK with this, although someone else on the boat thought I was wrong and that the sticker was required??

I dive the Temptation 2 to 4 times a month and I will continue to dive them as I know me and my buddy will be picked up everytime, and picked up quickly. Who cares about the bus ride, and if Paul wants to be in a bad mode, who cares, as long as he puts me on the reef and picks me up in a safe fashion.

griffincp:
Back on the boat I told the DM I am diving Nitrox, with a computer, but I do not have stickers on my tanks. He seemed OK with this, although someone else on the boat thought I was wrong and that the sticker was required??

No stickers required, only that small O2 cleaned sticker needs to be on the tank.

hijacking for just a second :D
Griffincp, first of all welcome aboard the SB vessel, always nice to see our Florida Conchs' growing. Do you ever go down to WPB? I'm just curious if maybe we've dove together (Jupiter or WPB)..

baitedstorm:
No stickers required, only that small O2 cleaned sticker needs to be on the tank.

Griffincp, first of all welcome aboard the SB vessel, always nice to see our Florida Conchs' growing. Do you ever go down to WPB? I'm just curious if maybe we've dove together (Jupiter or WPB)..

No Nitrox Sticker!?! That is like tearing off the Tommy Hilfiger sticker off your jeans. Why would someone spend $2,000.00 for a $300.00 dress is no one knew it was a Versace?

You got to wear the Nitrox sticker so that everyone will be impressed with your Nitrox Training. I mean geesh it is all the rage. You don't want to be mistaken for one of those "Air Divers" - - everyone snickering behind your back and making comments about "compessed air is for tires.." and wrinkling up their nose's and saying .. "Damn your breath smells like an old tire.."

Got to wear that Green and Yellow bumper sticker so that everyone on the boat knows you are a Elite Nitrox Diver! Now you can argue with the Tech Divers about diving gasses...

:laughing: You aint right Eric....

I actually agree that the stickers are tacky looking, but as a DM on a boat, I love that divers use them. If I have, what looks like an air diver exceeeding the max bottom time, I'll thumb him up. If he doesn't go I'll either write on my handy dandy slate a nice little message asking why or I'll look for the O2 sticker myself.

Um Eric..... Does your big new tank have a Nitrox band? ahem!

I'm sorry I missed that dive. We wanted to go really bad, but we had a lot to do at home. Anyone up to a dive in the next 2-3 weeks? We got to Hawaii in 5 and we really want to log some practice before we go.

And what is all this about needing computers on some of the boats? Maybe I'm misreading or something, but do the DM's make you head up after a specific amount of time regardless of your remaining air if you don't have one? Or did I miss something? I'm just curious, b/c we don't have computers yet. Not that we'd be down long anyways...we're both airhogs...lol.

Orlando Eric:
No Nitrox Sticker!?! That is like tearing off the Tommy Hilfiger sticker off your jeans. Why would someone spend $2,000.00 for a $300.00 dress is no one knew it was a Versace?

You got to wear the Nitrox sticker so that everyone will be impressed with your Nitrox Training. I mean geesh it is all the rage. You don't want to be mistaken for one of those "Air Divers" - - everyone snickering behind your back and making comments about "compessed air is for tires.." and wrinkling up their nose's and saying .. "Damn your breath smells like an old tire.."

Got to wear that Green and Yellow bumper sticker so that everyone on the boat knows you are a Elite Nitrox Diver! Now you can argue with the Tech Divers about diving gasses...

Uh-oh...so I guess you guys'll laugh at us if we dive with you, huh? We're 'air' divers. lol

Actually, we'd like to get Nitrox certified. We just have to wait until we've got the time and money to take the class. Plus, I'd prefer to gain a bit more experience first.

baitedstorm:

Hi - I have not been out in WPB, only Jupiter and the Keys. I have the O2 cleaned mark punched out on my inspection sticker - that is how I am able to get my tanks filled. I have also marked in ink that the tanks are Nitrox only.

Cheers.

z28badgirl:
I'm sorry I missed that dive. We wanted to go really bad, but we had a lot to do at home. Anyone up to a dive in the next 2-3 weeks? We got to Hawaii in 5 and we really want to log some practice before we go.

And what is all this about needing computers on some of the boats? Maybe I'm misreading or something, but do the DM's make you head up after a specific amount of time regardless of your remaining air if you don't have one? Or did I miss something? I'm just curious, b/c we don't have computers yet. Not that we'd be down long anyways...we're both airhogs...lol.

As I am sure you know your bottom time is not a function of the amount of air you have in your tanks. Your bottom time is a function of the mix you are breathing and the depth at which you are diving. For safety most drift dives in the Jupiter area (reefs around 60 to 80 feet deep) for folks on air are limited to 25 minutes bottom time (computer or not) as you are most likely going to have a 1 hr SI (you will be waiting for the Nitrox divers to come up about 20 mins later and they will need about 30 mins to have a descent profile for the 2nd dive) and you will be doing a second dive. If you are diving tables, then you need to be aware of your max depth to determine your max no-deco bottom time.

Please do not base your bottom time on the amount of air you have in your tank. If you dive with a large 120 cf steel tank filled with air you will get yourself into deco if you wait for a specific remaining air pressure.

You may have enough air to get into deco, but you may not have enough to get out of deco - and without a computer in this situation you are likely to get bent.

Hope that helps??

z28badgirl:
Uh-oh...so I guess you guys'll laugh at us if we dive with you, huh? We're 'air' divers. lol

Actually, we'd like to get Nitrox certified. We just have to wait until we've got the time and money to take the class. Plus, I'd prefer to gain a bit more experience first.

No laughing at all. Nitrox should make your diving safer once you get certified as you will take up less nitrogen into your tissues per unit time. Diving the same profile on EAN 36 versus air, you will take on less N2 and reduce the risk of DCS but it will not eliminate the risk - dive with safety in mind - slow ascent and safety stop for no less than 3 mins at 15 to 20 feet.

You are smart to get more dives under your belt. The Nitrox class is a one session deal so when you are ready I would do it.

Enjoy your dives!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom