Jpmorrison, was that you in the pool with me tonight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn

Reaction score
I was going to post this with a subject along the lines of "I get it!", but jp's troll was just too perfect a setup...

I was in the pool tonight, doing my drysuit orientation. There were two others getting their drysuit orientations as well. I was watching these "divers" flounder about, puffed up like the Michelin Man, and just flat not really getting it. The poor guy that was giving the orientation was trying to explain, but I'm not sure as too how much they were listening. They didn't seem to care too much, and only tried the skills they had been shown when prompted.

Now... before anyone accuses me of saying I'm a superior diver, let's look at these facts:

I have exactly 15 open water dives. I did 6 of those OW dives as a "resort diver" in the Bahamas. I got my NAUI Scuba Diver cert right before Christmas 2002. I dive split fins (so sue me!). I was called Buffalo Breather (jokingly, they knew I was new... besides, it was true) on the dive boat I was on in Maui over New Years. I know exactly jack s*** about diving.

So then, how was I different than the other two people I was diving with tonight? I want to learn how to be the best diver I can be. This does not mean learning just barely enough to perhaps not die when using my drysuit in the open water. This means practice, more practice, working with the instructor and asking him how I looked, and what I could do better. This means another pool session, and then some easy OW dives. This means more training (NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver and the Dry Suit Specialty in Feb). This means that I don't settle for "good enough"... I want to strive to always be better.

I was rather surprised at myself tonight. I left the pool knowing I had a different attitude and approach to diving than those other two people. For all I know, they could have been diving forever (I didn't ask, and I didn't want to suggest things to them, being so new myself), but it didn't really show in the pool. Ironically, the assistant that was giving the orientation was asking if I wanted to go diving Les Davis with him, but he does night dives which I am not yet certified for. He was surprised at the fact I was still so new, and I took pride in that.

As of this time, I don't plan on being anything more than a recreational diver. I do plan on being the best recreational diver I possibly can be, though. I guess the bottom line here is that I'm just not a "good enough" kind of guy, and I really got that tonight.

Jimmie

P.S. dude, the BC was really irritating me tonight... I'm afraid it's time to try a BP and wing.

try night diving too - you'll love it, well I do. I am not certified to do it but have lead night dives - get a torch and a compass and off you pop!!

You got it too - wanting to learn is the key. So many people in all things today think if they pay the shall receive - sorry guys you have to put a little effort in.....

Jonathan

congrats at being able to see horrible divers and not follow their example. That is something far too many people are unable to do.

As for night diving go for it, it is good to have training, but in my opinion, if you are comfortable day diving then night diving will not be a problem. And it is so much cooler!!

scuberd once bubbled...
congrats at being able to see horrible divers and not follow their example. That is something far too many people are unable to do.

As for night diving go for it, it is good to have training, but in my opinion, if you are comfortable day diving then night diving will not be a problem. And it is so much cooler!!

The scubapolice don't go out at night, so you won't get busted. Its initially a little different, but its pretty cool......

SS

Kalvyn
Why did you think I was in the pool? I am the one that consults with the Navy dept. on dry suits and high altitude diving.:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom