Johnson Engine Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H3LlIoN

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking at a boat to buy for diving, and have a quick question about the engines, as I'm not overly savvy on anything other than the newer Optimax engines. It has twin, counter rotating Johnson Ocean Runner 150's. Anyone have any experience with the ocean runners, or can tell me anything to make sure to check ahead of time? Thanks,

We used to run Johnson from OMC until they went away. OMC is gone along with Lawn Boy and Evinrude, Bombardier Rec Products took the name for their outboards. Those are carburated two strokes and unlike the fuel stingly DFI Mercury Optimax or Evinrude Etec those babies are gonna consume some hydrocarbons at prodigious rates--my bet. N

Yeah, I'm anticipating that part, but what about reliability? Any stigmas surrounding these, or known defects of which you are aware? Thanks.

It might be worth calling your local marine services shops to be sure you can get someone to work on it. I have/had (its for sale, I got a new boat) an old OMC on a Grady Bracket (which is why I didn't replace the motor) and it ran great for about 650 hours (on top of the 500 I bought it with). I had a guy to work on it, but he let me know 2 years ago that he wasn't taking any new OMC work, just current (and I suspect good) clients. I would also have them looked at for hours run, compression, and anything else a mechanic could point out as replacing motors is expensive (you usually have to replace controls too). It’s definitely worth putting in the extra leg work on a major purchase like this.

I love having my boat. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Remember, BOAT is an acronym, it stands for Break Out Another Thousand (and these days that might just be for fuel).

These motors are loud, smoky and drink gas like I drink water. Having said that they are among the most reliable outboards made to date. Get a compression test done. You are looking for consistency across all cylinders, one cylinder more than 10% off from the rest is a bad sign. This is very easy to do yourself if you buy the guage. If possible ask the owner which mechanic he uses and talk to that guy, he will know if they are in good shape or not. These old-technology two stokes are generally very reliable as long as they are not allowed to sit without running for too long.

I have a 200 HP Oceanpro, 2001 model. I am waiting for a reason to replace it with a quieter, more fuel efficient four-stroke, but it just won't die.

For reliability,it is hard to beat the omc outboards,I ran two of them for probably 25 years without any major mechanical problems.Just check the compression on all the cylinders to see if they vary much and check the gear lube to make sure there isn't any water in there,if it looks like a chocolate milk shake there is water inside and may have problems.They are inefficent gas thirsty pigs as are all the older 2 stroke motors,but you can buy quite a bit of fuel with what two new motors cost,about 30000 dollars for a new pair,good luck.

Theres a reason why most of the small navys of the world use old 2-stroke outboards on their boats (I'm thinking iran, Sudan, Chad, Outer Mongolia...they last forever! ... My Merc 150 2-stroke is like having Black Sabbath playing War Pigs through a 50,000 watt PA in my ear everytime I run it ... but the enigine runs like a freaking Ethiopian Marathoner on Red Bull and Kool-Aide.

Theres a reason why most of the small navys of the world use old 2-stroke outboards on their boats (I'm thinking iran, Sudan, Chad, Outer Mongolia...they last forever! ... My Merc 150 2-stroke is like having Black Sabbath playing War Pigs through a 50,000 watt PA in my ear everytime I run it ... but the enigine runs like a freaking Ethiopian Marathoner on Red Bull and Kool-Aide.

Dang man, make that thing howl, nothing on the planet growls like an angry Merc two stroke. Leave that four stroke c---p for the weenie men in shirt sweaters quaking in their crocs, we want noise and smoke and hell fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D when we put the hammer down:14:, we want to see the fuel flow meters pegged in the FUN ZONE, that's what we are talking about and don't back off the throttles until the transom tears loose.:11:

Those were rugged engines best I know but I would be careful buying that boat unless it is a smoking deal. Might shoot the people on Boating & Fishing Forum - The Hull Truth a question on them.

N

I fired it up yesterday for the first time in a month, launching it from my favorite ramp ... From the looks of things I was running a smoke screen for USS Hornet on flight ops offshore of Midway Island circa June 42'... was thinking the Cal EPA was going to site me right then and there ...like clock work she warmed up began to purr ...simmered down and cleared the atmosphere and hauled me and my doubles out of Mission Bay on my way to a epic dive off of Point Loma... actually had 40' vis with a slight 1.37kt current at depth...during slack tide!!!! I was sucking back gas in the head stream @ depth like a ...well .. my Merc 150 sucks Saudi grade A hi-test!!!!

There were a couple of beer drinking homies in a 16' open bow tri-hull heading out to the kelp paddies in search of Calico Bass whom I completely screened at the dock ... I promise myself if this pig ever blows up I'm getting an E-TEC ...until then my mission is to piss Al Gore off to no end !!!!! Or at the very least transmit that pounding synphony of all six cylinders reaching the resonant frequency of Als skull ...exploding it is one glorious ...cresendo!!!!

Skull, your making me want to break out a six pack and yell "Git'er Done" and stuff like that.

On the Johnsons, get a sea trial. Get a surveyer. The engines will need a tune up, plugs, water pumps, compression tests etc. Make sure the engine lifts work and the steering is smooth and both engines start and shift. Are the props abused looking. A clean well cared for boat is a good indication it is ship shape, a dirty beater is just that and it will eat you out of house and home--not including the gas.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom