Job Prospects 4 new Dive Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldsoulman

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting out of my current career path (army) and into the life of a pro Scuba Diver.
I've heard many good things about Utila in Honduras so think i will go there for the courses.
My only question now is, what is the employment situation out in the world like?
Are diving instructors a dime a dozen or is there work to be found if one searches long and hard enough?
Not looking to make millions (of course), just to live plain and simple.
Any hints or pointers would be most helpful and appreciated regarding extra courses to have under belt to stand out from crowd, etc..

Thanks much

Hi oldsoulman

Of course one of the main things is how good you are and your personality, if you are good with people, that is a great plus , if you are prepared to really work at your 'business', learn all the corals, fish etc as an instructor you should know all these things, basically work as hard as you can to be the best instructor you can, then you have a great chance of getting work.

You may not earn a fortune but you will have a great life, I live on Utila and have done so for 5 years and its a good life.

Instructors we train do usually like to stay and work with us.

I have found that not many places want to hire a brand spanking new diver. A good way to rack up your student certs, with out breaking the bank as a SCUBA instructor, is to work somewhere like Seacamp (www.seacamp.org) in the summer, before heading out to where you want to work. The pay is pretty mediocre.... alright it down right sucks, but they cover your room and board so you really don't have any expenses. They hire brand spankin' new instructors (actually I think they prefer them that way so they can mold and shape you). Then you have some experience to list on your aplication for where you really want to work. During my first summer there, in 3 months I taught 2 BOW, 3 Master Diver, a rescue course, and a skin diving instructor course, as well as a couple of non-certification specialty courses.

Polly

Hi

I think that Scubapolly is correct in the USA but in area's like this we activly encourage new instructors to work, and here in 1 year an instructor could easily do 100 certifications or more, it is a great place to work and live.

If you were to do your IDC and IE in the USA I think Scubapolly's suggestion is a great one.

Every qualification in life is valued on how difficult it is to get. By the time a Doctor actually practices they have 8 to 10 years of training, so they can command a high remuneration.
By contrast you can become a diving instructor from zero in less than 2 months of training time. So it is nothing special. Really it is just semi skilled manual labour.
If you actually want to make money from instruction you need to find an angle. Own the dive shop. Train difficult things like trimix. Become a total watersport expert and work a cruise liner. Etc.
Being able to teach scuba, on it's own, is a simple skill that attracts no financial premium. In fact because so many young people are prepared to do it for the life style, it attracts a financial penalty.
Research this fully before you do it.

Bruciebabe:
Every qualification in life is valued on how difficult it is to get. By the time a Doctor actually practices they have 8 to 10 years of training, so they can command a high remuneration.
By contrast you can become a diving instructor from zero in less than 2 months of training time. So it is nothing special. Really it is just semi skilled manual labour.
If you actually want to make money from instruction you need to find an angle. Own the dive shop. Train difficult things like trimix. Become a total watersport expert and work a cruise liner. Etc.
Being able to teach scuba, on it's own, is a simple skill that attracts no financial premium. In fact because so many young people are prepared to do it for the life style, it attracts a financial penalty.
Research this fully before you do it.

It actually takes 6 months to go from Zero to Instructor, and even then it is a pefomance based process, if you meet the Industry benchmark then you can become an Instructor through a trained and audited process, of course the medical field is far more comprehensive and sacraficing.

Our Instructors are paid based solely on commission of the students they train as in resorts we do not retail a high portion of equipment, most of our divers (unless in training) come fully equipped. However our average Instructor earnings tend to average $700 in low season to $2500 in high season, most of our Instructors are able to work 6 months of a good season and leave/move on with a good savings, plus have enjoyed great diving, an amazing lifestyle and gained good experince.

As BrucieBabe says if you are in the industry for the long term then you need to gain additional credentials to make a more attractive income however the 'Open Water Scuba Instructor' rating is your entry level into the dive industry and will let you decide where you next want to move, and if the industry of diving apeals to you then you can do extremely well. I never planned to become a dive centre manager or Instructor trainer, it was just a natural progession from something I enjoyed into a sport I loved.

Even though the majority of Instructors make a minimal wage they often will say that when they wake up each day they do not go to work, but they live a lifestyle. I guess at the end of the day, when you lie on your death bed what will you look back on and wished you did more of???

A) Dive and have fun
B) Work and make $

For me, being a Scuba Instructor, still remains one of the best jobs in the world!!!

Remember that when your watch chimes 9am on a Monday morning and you guiding a group of divers over a coral reef!!!

Warm regards,
Andy

I forgot to mention that Utila has the reputation of being one of the top destinations in the world to get trained from Open Water to Instructor. The quality of diving is amazing and diverse, from fringing reef with Spotted Drums to Sheer walls and Whalesharks, the atmosphere is magic and the living costs from this small Caribbean island unbelievable. The standard of Instructor training on the island is 2nd to none and PADI often commend our IDC (Instructor Development Course) course and facilities with recognition and 'Certificates of Excellence'. There are approximately 8000-10000 visitors to this island each year for training from Open Water to Rescue Diver, so as an Instructor there is no better destination to get real world experience after your training is completed.

Utila Dive Centre received an award from PADI in October 2005 for their 'Outstanding Contribution to the Dive Industry' and in 2004 for quality of 'Entry Level Certifications issued in the World'.

Warm regards,
Andy

GoProHonduras:
It actually takes 6 months to go from Zero to Instructor, and even then it is a pefomance based process, if you meet the Industry benchmark then you can become an Instructor through a trained and audited process, of course the medical field is far more comprehensive and sacraficing.

It doesn't take 6 months training. PADI just say 6 months must pass between completing your OW and your IE. In fact if you add up the total time for the courses the total training can be done in something approaching 6 weeks of actual course time. Which is why I said "less than 2 months of training time".
Implementing the PADI system of continuing education is not difficult, which is why most good IDCs offer 100% pass rate guarantee.

oldsoulman:
I'm seriously considering getting out of my current career path (army) and into the life of a pro Scuba Diver.
I've heard many good things about Utila in Honduras so think i will go there for the courses.
My only question now is, what is the employment situation out in the world like?
Are diving instructors a dime a dozen or is there work to be found if one searches long and hard enough?
Not looking to make millions (of course), just to live plain and simple.
Any hints or pointers would be most helpful and appreciated regarding extra courses to have under belt to stand out from crowd, etc..

Thanks much
Oldsoulman, if I was going to take the IDC course anywhere in the world, Utila is the place I'd go. It is all about diving, and very laid-back. At many of the schools you stay free (dorm)while taking the course. Many European dive gypsies go there, adding to the ambiance. GO FOR IT!

Bruciebabe:
It doesn't take 6 months training. PADI just say 6 months must pass between completing your OW and your IE. In fact if you add up the total time for the courses the total training can be done in something approaching 6 weeks of actual course time. Which is why I said "less than 2 months of training time".
Implementing the PADI system of continuing education is not difficult, which is why most good IDCs offer 100% pass rate guarantee.

Your right, it doesn't require 6 months continous training to go from OW to IE, however I can guarantee you that in reality most OW entry divers on internships with a view to becoming an Instructor spend the 6 month period gaining additional experience. You canno tbecome an Instructor with less than 100 dives which although not exact does comapre relativley favourable to a commerical helicopter pilots requirement of 150 hours!

Now when do Instructors become good Instructors? Is it when they're Divemasters, during the IDC, or when in reality, after being vetted and audited for safety, standard and control issues, or when they are actually teaching?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks and gaining additional dives as a DM may not necessarily be of benefit beyond a certain point if your goal is to Instruct, that's just my own honest opinion from from hindsight and experience.

Regards,
Andy

Back
Top Bottom