Jim Ernst Avatar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the opposite problem, my feet sink, or feel as if they sink, leading me to be almost vertical in the water once I stop finning. I'm trying to find someone to help me with this, maybe I need to move some weights around, maybe I need to move my tank higher, not sure what I need, but I sure wish I could find someone or some class to help me figure it out! I thought a PPB class would be good, but I can't find one specifically for that and the instructor I was going to help last weekend and she would help me? I didn't like the water forecast so decided another weekend would be better. So, I still feel inadequate :)

That's what I'm thinking, I am BCD weight integrated with a weight belt, so I have some options.
Considering dropping 2 lbs too. I'd move my tank higher but I'm afraid I'm going to hit my head. Also, with my BCD deflated, the BCD seems pretty loose. I dunno, I got problems, lol.

Why are you using integrated and a weight belt? You might want to consider buying some small trim pouches that attach to the cambands of the BC, this will allow you to move weight higher up on your back without having to ride the tank so high you hit your head. Between the integrated pouches, and the trim pouches you should have plenty to sink and lots of options for placement.

Never really thought about it, started diving with just a weight belt, bought an integrated BCD, split the weight between the two and never really knew about other options, other than ankle weights and tank weights. Ignorance? I'll look into trim pouches, thanks :)

I have the opposite problem, my feet sink, or feel as if they sink, leading me to be almost vertical in the water once I stop finning. I'm trying to find someone to help me with this, maybe I need to move some weights around, maybe I need to move my tank higher, not sure what I need, but I sure wish I could find someone or some class to help me figure it out! I thought a PPB class would be good, but I can't find one specifically for that and the instructor I was going to help last weekend and she would help me? I didn't like the water forecast so decided another weekend would be better. So, I still feel inadequate :)
Your right on the money.
Do you use a traditional BCD? one with trim pockets along the tank?
If so transfering some weight from your hip pockets to your trim pockets would be a start.
another trick I've used myself is to place a 2 lb. ankle weight on my tank valve.
and thirdly shifting your tank higher in the harness will help. (watch for the annoying bang the valve with the head trick tho.)

Did you say you can't find a specific PPB class? If you still have that problem contact me, I'll make it happen for you.

Thanks, Brewski. Yes, can't find a specific PPB class, did find a PADI instructor that said she would take me out with her AOW class and work with me, but that fell through on account of the weather conditions last weekend. I'm beginning to think it's not really my buoyancy, it may just be my trim. My BCD does have trim pockets, however, it looks like I would need some sort of plastic ended clip weights to go in them, and the only think I can think of with similar clips is ankle weights. Don graciously offered to help me tweak the trim in the next week or two, if he can't fix it, I may be screwed. I'm going to bring all the weights I own with us and keep moving stuff around till it's good. Something tells me that I'm going to find switching from a jacket BCD to a BP/W is going to be my answer, but I'm going to try and get better with what I've got.

I have the opposite problem, my feet sink, or feel as if they sink, leading me to be almost vertical in the water once I stop finning. I'm trying to find someone to help me with this, maybe I need to move some weights around, maybe I need to move my tank higherQUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking, I am BCD weight integrated with a weight belt, so I have some options.Considering dropping 2 lbs too. I'd move my tank higher but I'm afraid I'm going to hit my head. Also, with my BCD deflated, the BCD seems pretty loose. I dunno, I got problems, lol.

Hi Pacificgal,

I use to dive a ladyhawk with integrated weight pockets. I loved it. But couldn't believe how much easier it is to dive a BP/W where some of the weight is distrbuted in the middle of your back with the steel plate. Don't feel inadequate, I have learned gear really makes a big difference to your diving :). But I have also seem people work with their rec gear and pull off suprising trim in BCD's

But for now :wink: - you might want to try diving steel tanks if you aren't already. It will redistribute some of the weight off of your waist. Also, i'll echo the others, it helped alot when I moved weight to my trim pockets.

Do you know how to do a weight check at the end of the dive in 10ft of water - to make sure your weight is correct?

This looks interesting :).

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-buoyancy-compensators-bcs-weight-systems/306440-halcyon-eclipse-dive-rite-bp-w.html

Yeah, that one sold, Kathy.
I do dive steel tanks, prefer the weight distribution with that. I'll be working on trim next couple weeks, but jeez, gotta stop paying for boat dives! Gotta learn to commute and share the gas and parking expenses! I discussed the trim pockets with the LDS last night, they suggested I bring it in so they could help me place weight into it. It's not a solid pocket, soft weights would slip right through. Need hands-on help, I'll get it real soon though.

Your right on the money.
Do you use a traditional BCD? one with trim pockets along the tank?
If so transfering some weight from your hip pockets to your trim pockets would be a start.
another trick I've used myself is to place a 2 lb. ankle weight on my tank valve.
and thirdly shifting your tank higher in the harness will help. (watch for the annoying bang the valve with the head trick tho.)

Did you say you can't find a specific PPB class? If you still have that problem contact me, I'll make it happen for you.

Ron Is a good instructor, and can do your needs well, If he can't make your time frame , Let me know, I am also willing to help you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom