Jim Ernst Avatar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy smokes! I am seriously thinking of learning how to surf this weekend instead. I'm almost afraid to try diving this weekend, poor AOW class. I have an email in to the instructor, wondering if she's going to scrub this weekend's AOW class, I sure don't want to rent tanks and drive to Monterey if it's not going to be divable. Maybe I won't rent tanks till I get to Monterey?
What do you instructors think, would you do an AOW class on a weekend with these gale force winds and the current surf report?

That is really hard to say, You can look at the swell forcast, the surf conditoins and all of that Looks bad, and then drive down there and find it great!!!

What I might suggest to you, is what I do, This evening (Friday) I would at about 4-430 call and ask Trevor or Glen what the conditions are like, They can look out the door and see the Breakwater, and that Gives a little bit better of A chance at knowing the future conditions!

Glens aquarius at the breakwater, 1-831-375-6605

I will get a drysuit when my wetsuit falls apart, until then, need to wait to put out that expense.
Then when I get a drysuit, I'll be out at Breakwater trying not to be a michelin man, or woman, in my case. I always forget to do the squat move before the dive after the suit is on!

Thanks for the info, Jim. I'm helping out the class and getting help with my trim at the same time. I don't want to be put in a position like I have seen there, where there are big strong guys out there without gear just catching people as they get thrown out of the surf onto the beach.
Getting rolled at Breakwater....naw.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I'm helping out the class and getting help with my trim at the same time. I don't want to be put in a position like I have seen there, where there are big strong guys out there without gear just catching people as they get thrown out of the surf onto the beach.
Getting rolled at Breakwater....naw.

I have seen even an Instructor Candidate trying to exit Breakwater in Bad conditions and break his leg at the knee so bad it turned his foot backwards, Saw that with my own eyes!!!:shocked2:

Oh, no thanks! I cancelled my reservation for tanks, looks like this will be an all-out hockey weekend, which is good, too. Seriously considering taking a day off work to do Lobos though, very soon.

Oh, no thanks! I cancelled my reservation for tanks, looks like this will be an all-out hockey weekend, which is good, too. Seriously considering taking a day off work to do Lobos though, very soon.

I don't blame you, I have taken students to Monterey, Had it turn out to be such bad conditions, I call the dives, and then call it a great day at the aquarium!!!

Diving under lousy conditions is just not fun, and so not worth it, If the conditions are that bad, it is time to enjoy Monterey for the fun and pleasure!!

But that is just me!

No, I agree, and with my history, I'm better off diving without being rolled. Was supposed to work on my trim this weekend, so I'm kinda bummed. I understand there's ways to work on trim without getting wet? Bench surfing?

No, I agree, and with my history, I'm better off diving without being rolled. Was supposed to work on my trim this weekend, so I'm kinda bummed. I understand there's ways to work on trim without getting wet? Bench surfing?

:rofl3:Bench surfing, That is A new one on me!

I wonder if I can do bench scuba instructing, Just tell e'm what to do and wait and see if anyone makes it back still breathing.... :)

No, I heard something about laying on a bench, keeping head and chest up to get your body to have muscle memory as to what good trim should look like?

No, I heard something about laying on a bench, keeping head and chest up to get your body to have muscle memory as to what good trim should look like?
Sounds like it could work. Since we are accustomed to walking upright our natural instinct is to take that position in the water, which causes much to much drag. so if you can retrain yourself to recognize the feeling of being in trim, you'd be better off.

A friend who kept complaining his feet were floaty in his new drysuit insisted he needed ankle weights until I showed him a video of his trim. He was parallel to the bottom, In good trim in my opinion, but to him it felt wrong. maybe if he used this technique instead he would have recognized the feeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom