Jim Ernst Avatar...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting! Excited!

It really is A funny thing Kathy, Many new divers think that the summer is the best time to dive, they think it will be warmer and better conditions!!
When , Actually, the conditions get better in the fall, Even better and warmer in the winter and spring!!
The summer actually brings us colder temps, and the plankton blooms that make our Monterey Vis/conditions worse!

I disagree. I would much rather be putting on my wetsuit when the fog isn't raining a fine mist on me. The water may be warmer, but the SI is pretty miserable in a wetsuit.
I'll agree with the better viz, but I would rather be drying off during my SI than shivering in the car.

There was big swell, long sets and hole in the wall area was churning.

Outside the cove was very rough, significant swells and very choppy.

Here's a pictures on a more standard day at Lobos, 9/16:
090916_lobos.jpg

Here's a pictures from this past Wednesday, 9/30:
090930_lobos.jpg

I disagree. I would much rather be putting on my wetsuit when the fog isn't raining a fine mist on me. The water may be warmer, but the SI is pretty miserable in a wetsuit.
I'll agree with the better viz, but I would rather be drying off during my SI than shivering in the car.

If you get cold in a wetsuit then get a drysuit. I actually liked the winter SI more than this past summer's. It was comfy instead of being baked to death.

Buy A boat jacket or a parka.... It is better to be warm in the winter then BAKE in the summer, And have worse ocean conditions!!!

FACT is, the diving conditions are better in fall thru spring!:popcorn:

Kristina,

I know what you mean about wearing a wetsuit and comming out to rely on the rays of the Sun to warm you...

However, I have come to hate the Sun now that I dive dry, I will hide under the shade while I put on my undergarments...

When there is no protection from the Sun's rays I literally will bake from the inside out, I sometimes feel like I will pass out, I don't like that feeling at all...

I'm so happy for the cold 54 degree water that hits my body when I'm boiling inside, I think I speak for a lot of the drysuit divers about that blasted Sun...

Holy smokes! I am seriously thinking of learning how to surf this weekend instead. I'm almost afraid to try diving this weekend, poor AOW class. I have an email in to the instructor, wondering if she's going to scrub this weekend's AOW class, I sure don't want to rent tanks and drive to Monterey if it's not going to be divable. Maybe I won't rent tanks till I get to Monterey?
What do you instructors think, would you do an AOW class on a weekend with these gale force winds and the current surf report?

Back
Top Bottom