Jetfin spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Completely ignoring the price factor, what is the best steel spring strap for the classic Scubapro Jetfins? The most solid/resistant (the kind that would be impossible to break, no matter how much abuse it takes)?

I have looked at most designs, but the installing system seems to be based on a simple metal pin (like the Halcyon ones) or on a C wire bent inside (like this: http://www.kalani.net/scuba/divegear/springstrap_jetlg.jpg ).. which seems fragile to me. I also read about the Agir-Brokk ones, which are using screws and nuts, but somebody said they are even more fragile (but never explained why).

Now I think that the Salvo ones ( Fins - Spring Heels - Northeast Scuba Supply ) look better, but I have failed to find a clear picture on the internet.

So.. what's your advice on this topic? Help me find the strap that will outlive me :D

I've had a pair from Manta for three years now.

Manta Industries - Products

They've been holding up just fine and were a lot less costly than the ones you mention above, but I got them a few ago and prices could have gone up.

Hello,

Completely ignoring the price factor, what is the best steel spring strap for the classic Scubapro Jetfins? The most solid/resistant (the kind that would be impossible to break, no matter how much abuse it takes)?

I have looked at most designs, but the installing system seems to be based on a simple metal pin (like the Halcyon ones) or on a C wire bent inside (like this: http://www.kalani.net/scuba/divegear/springstrap_jetlg.jpg ).. which seems fragile to me. I also read about the Agir-Brokk ones, which are using screws and nuts, but somebody said they are even more fragile (but never explained why).

Now I think that the Salvo ones ( Fins - Spring Heels - Northeast Scuba Supply ) look better, but I have failed to find a clear picture on the internet.

So.. what's your advice on this topic? Help me find the strap that will outlive me :D

Hi vixtor:

Nothing would be impossible to break but I think general durability is great with any of the spring straps you mentioned. If you happened to break any one of these springs straps and depending on what you were doing, I'd think you'd have bigger problems at hand. Stainless steel and acetal seem to be the basic materials that the straps are made from. Both are extremely tough and when assembled, offer a simple nearly bullet proof way of holding the fins on our feet.

I like the Scubapro and Halcyon ones, mainly because of the lack of excess do-dads on them such as heel straps for pulling, and funky buckles for attachment. Both use a simple pin that can be staked to ensure non-removal and are really well built, and they have cords in the springs and tubular nylon covering the assembly. I have not looked too closely at other brands because when I was looking, I was looking for a set to merely replicate. I did.

But, right after a class I attended, I picked up a commercial made set from Halcyon. I got a great deal on them- 56 USD from Silent World Key Largo, and I really like them. I did not stake them down just in case I wanted to put my home-made ones back on, but I don't see that happening.

So, make them yourself and you'll know what you have in them, or pick any one of the ones you mentioned based on what you get here and have heard, and I do not think you'll think about them again once you use them.

I hope this helps and good luck!

With kind regards,
Thomas

The Pins that bend aren't fragile at all. It's quite a pain to get them on and off so they will stay very on if you want it too. I've had some reservation with the screw on ones too because I would think the screw MIGHT unscrew itself, but they use lock nuts. My Halcyon ones they used a little machine to "stamp" and flatten the ends so they can't slip out. The only other differences is size, if they have cave line (which most do), and what material is on the outside of the spring for "padding".

I'd have to go with sizing is more important though. I went through 3 different spring straps to get to ones that actually fit me perfectly. They advertise that this is 11 3/4" or this is 13" or whatever but I have no idea how they are measuring it because I pulled a tape measure out for each one I bought and they were all different! Many of them just have small, med, large, XL, etc with no numbers!

Just go with the best ones that fit you. This may mean you having to buy multiple and seeing or just going into an LDS that has a few different ones.

The pins are pretty durable. The people I have known who have had a set fail have had the spring itself break. I have Halcyon straps on my cold water fins, and I frankly like the the best of the ones I've tried. Avoid the ones with a hard plastic tubing on the springs, because they'll hurt your Achilles tendon.

These have worked well for me over the years..........

New are $38, please see link............

Spring-Straps.com

Hope this helps.............M

I have a pair of those and a pair of the SP/H type. If either one ever breaks I'm replacing them with the Spring-straps.com ones. They rock!

I bought a pair earlier this year from Stu/Wayward Son, here on SB. Stu's straps are made to measure, similar to the Halcyons but for much less :wink:, and come with a warranty. If you're interested in learning more, send him a PM. :)

I bought a pair earlier this year from Stu/Wayward Son, here on SB. Stu's straps are made to measure, similar to the Halcyons but for much less :wink:, and come with a warranty. If you're interested in learning more, send him a PM. :)

Do you have some pictures?

Here's a top view. My batteries died so if you need more images, contact Stu. :wink:

strap.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom