jet fins or bio-fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong

Reaction score
g'day fellas
just wondering which ones are better for surface swimming?
are they okay to do a bit of skindiving with as well?
cheers :)

IMO, Bios are over priced and are all that good. Jets are, again IMO, an excellent choice. They work well for skin diving, but if you are planning to do a bunch of skin diving, they are not the best choice. I prefer the long Cressi fins for skin diving, Jets for everything else.

kjpwong:
g'day fellas
just wondering which ones are better for surface swimming?
are they okay to do a bit of skindiving with as well?
cheers :)

I own and use both. For surface swimming and skindiving, I'd recommend the Bio-fins - they are designed for effortless speed. For anything else, the Jets - they are much more useful in changing "real-world" diving conditions and much more efficient, imho. The Jets are also small and very tough, perfect for travel.

i m just aiming for occational skindiving, mostly for scuba.
from what i have heard and read jet fins are the original fins for its ruggedness, durability and all round control and the bio-fins are famous for their "less effort more propulsion" thing and ease on your legs.
i guess the best thing to find out is to try them both out.
thanks heaps

I tried Bio Fins. I could do any kick with them, but they didn't allow fine control and there's no power. Kick for kick, they require less effort, but they require more kicks to move you the same distance. Personally, I believe that translates into more overall effort. I'm a lazy diver, I don't work hard unless there's no other option.

You're not going to get a consensus on this topic on this board. But for my money i got the bio fins. Jets and the like were very uncomfortable on my feet and i never liked them in the water. The bios feel like they'r not there at all and (if you use them right) will move you as fast as you need to go without kicking up the bottom like many people claim. These are different fins though and you need to use them differently. Split fins don't want big strong kicks but short quick kicks. Also lots of people when they first try splits think they have no propulsion because they're so effortless...definately an advantage for surface swims if you end up having to kick long distances on the surface.

I just sold my bio fins and got Jet type fins. I love them in currents and in any more challenging diving conditions. The bio fins just dont cut it when conditions get iffy.

I also have the Bio-fins. I got them new for $100 which was an awesome deal from my LDS. I tried both the Bio's and the Aqualung splits my b/f ended up getting. I liked the Bio's and have been able to kick efficiently and with speed. I haven't seen any problem with extra silting. That said I have not tried the jets but after hearing lots of great things about them I would like to. I would like to hear from someone who has used both (more than once!) about the differences they experienced. I haven't used them in strong currents yet but on my normal ocean dives they did great.

Miranda

I nominate the bios I love mine. However, either fin is great.

Bios are awsome for recreational use. Very efficient (you should notice it in your gas consumption) and very fast. Great for swimming into a current. However, for some advanced kicks (frog and modified frog) they still work but not as good. I have not yet figured out how to do a backwards kick with the Bios though.:sad_2: I use my bios for recreational o/w diving and my Jets for tech diving.

Dave Bush
Titusville, FL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom