jet fins or bio-fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PS There is no better fin for "ruggedness" than the Jets. I could probably give mine to my great grandkids. However, the biofins would come in a close second. Pretty much a solid chunk of rubber with a slit in the middle.

Just to clarify, was the original posting referring to Jet Fins as mentioned or could we have meant Twin Jets? I own all three and IMO the Jet Fin and Bios dive completely different. A better comparison would be the Bios to the Twin Jets.

Out of the three I prefer the Twin Jets...But thats me :D

There are + and - with all fins out there.
You will also hear a lot of hype by fin manufactures, and sometimes even in shops were the fins are sold...
You are on the right track by asking Scuba board members to give you feedback as they are the ones putting the fins to the test everyday.
Scuba Diving Magazine in 2004 and 2005
Has rated the Apollo bios as their #1 fin.
Check out the October 2005 issue of in Scuba Diving Magazine.

Cheers!

kjpwong:
i m just aiming for occational skindiving, mostly for scuba.
In this case, I would probably go for the Jets.
kjpwong:
i guess the best thing to find out is to try them both out.
thanks heaps
Though I haven't had the chance to try a pair of Bio, did get to kicked around with a pair of Atomic Splits. I have to say that I just do not fancy them. Could probably be due to the fact that I am so used to the feeling those Jet-style fins give me.

Definitely try them out if you could. Opinions are.......hmmmmmmmm.....opinions.:wink:

thanks again.
i know the jet fins and bio fins are quite different in terms of their shapes, structures, constructions and finning mechanisms. however, one thing common in both that i really care about is the material which both are rubber. and from what i have heard and read rubber are just the original and the best material due to their toughness, and also reports about other fins made in rubber/ plastic compounds such as mares volorace/ volopower parts breaking. i expect the fins i spend large amount of money on will last me a fair while.
kenny:)

kjpwong:
however, one thing common in both that i really care about is the material which both are rubber. and from what i have heard and read rubber are just the original and the best material due to their toughness

They are both made out of rubber but the compounds used are very different. The Bio-fins are quite soft and is somewhat easier to damage; they will also eventually warp if not placed flat during storage and do not tolerate heavy objects being placed on top of them for a prolonged period. The Jets are made from very hard rubber (but there are/were coloured versions made for the Japanese market that are quite soft) and will last forever.

I disagree with Vie that Bios are easy to damage at all. I find them very rugged compared to a lot of split fins that are made out of lots of different materials. Bios are just a chunk of rubber. You'd have to work hard to mess them up.

I don't think there's any better fin than Bios. Get them with spring straps. I think a lot of the split fin naysayers just need to feel the work of the fin, never mind that it's more effort overall.

For surface swims, there is no better fin. I'm convinced.

But honestly, go try some fins. I tried several splits I didn't like before getting the Bios. They are a world of difference. Jets were never even in the running once I tried them on. YMMV.

I'm a big fan of my Bio-fins (got them for half price through an E-Bay auction and they've been great). However, I'd go with Walter's early suggestion re: the long Cressi's or similar fin for free diving.

Grettings kjpwong,
Once again i a very big fan of the Apollo Bio Fin...
For a fin that would last through a nuclear blast. {Well o.k. maybe not..}
The jets are probally the toughest.
They will take a lick'in and keep on Tick'in.

Jet fins are great but they aren't light. Not the best travel fins because they are heavy but tremendous dry suit fins because they keep those feet negative. Very manuerable but not the strongest in current. Great for Photo ops and close quarter wreck diving.
Can't comment on the Bio's cause I only use Jets and Turtles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom