Jet Fins in Warm recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my same set of Jets (size XL) for everything from warm ocean wetsuit to drysuit cave dives. For me, they are a great balance of stiffness and flex. Scubakevdm is correct; bringing the heels closer to, or moving them further from, the bottom of the tank (more or less knee bend) will adjust your trim. I recommend practicing and watching body posture before tinkering with weight. Good technique is the first, best solution. Head up & back, lower back slightly arched, butt tight, and knees up. ;-)

In a 3 mil suit with a steel back plate, jets trim me out very nicely.

Summer time with a 1 mil suit and Al backplate, Jets and other heavy rubber fins I am foot heavy. As Kevin said, I can bend my knees and put my fins closer to my butt and I trim out. I usually just opt for different fins in the summer as my alternate kicks are not what they should be.

I have considered looking into the Slipstreams, but I am suspect. I don't believe it is merely the shape of the mold which made Jet fins what they were and are today.

My wife and I both have SP twin Jet's. One set is black and one set is yellow. I noticed that in a pool the black ones sink, while the yellow float so I do not know if the color has anything to due with the characteristics of these fins. I believe they are also available in blue - maybe those are neutral!

Matt_NJ:
My wife and I both have SP twin Jet's. One set is black and one set is yellow. I noticed that in a pool the black ones sink, while the yellow float so I do not know if the color has anything to due with the characteristics of these fins. I believe they are also available in blue - maybe those are neutral!

Split fins are not DIR...

Oops, my bad I did not realize I was in the DIR forum when I posted earlier.

Jets are great :D

GUEdiver:
I use my same set of Jets (size XL) for everything from warm ocean wetsuit to drysuit cave dives.
Same for me - no problems whatsoever using Jets with standard OW gear (AL backplate with weighted STA, AL80, 3mm wetsuit). Also use Jets for cave diving, cold water drysuit diving, etc - pretty much any diving I do.

As GUEdiver mentioned, it's more about technique than gear. Work on your trim and body position first, and change the gear only if you have to,

RHungENT:
So my question is..do any DIR divers have any "problems" with Jet fins in warm water recreation diving?

No problems when wearing a 3mm wetsuit and using Jet Fins. Although quite a few of us wish they'd come in colours other than black.:D I did have the "heavy feet" syndrome the very first time I used Jets - it was quite embarassing as I was in the GOT at New England Aquarium and there were quite a few people watching...

Jet Fins foot sizing is quite strange though, with larger sizes having longer blades; I have to wear thicker boots to enable me to use size XL Jet Fins. I used Oceanic Venture 5mm boots for a long time but find that boots with rubber pads in front, such as Pinnacle Aquatics Apex, will last a lot longer.

Thanks for the great input thus far. I wear 3mm suit in warm ocean and warm lake water here in Texas; with a steel backplate/Venture. Sounds like it won't be a problem at all. And since I still have to work on posture and trim anyways, it doesn't sound like I'll have to "adjust" much at all. The slipstreams sound nice as well, but I can get jet fins for 1/2 the price at this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom