Jet Fins And Feeling Tired...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallmac:
The best.....with the current frog, against the current dpv...:D

I love it! rofl

For work I don't have a say about the current... so I've found that for currents up to about 1 knots a frog kick works best and gives me the best return for investment so to speak (energy vs time vs speed etc.. whatever :wink: ) for currents up to 2 knots a flutter kick if I need to swim for extended lengths of time works best for me (till I can catch the boat and hang on) I'll break up the time with dolphin kicks and frog kicks to rest muscles, but it's not fun and often times I have to measure my progress in inches across the sandy bottom... yesterday was one of those days ... my arms are sore today from holding onto the bottom of the boat while resting my legs - lol

fwiw - it took several weeks of snorkeling for my leg muscles to "acclimate" to jets from my old velocity snorkel fins... but it was well worth it :D

The comments above about frog kicking are very good btw - no need to fight the water. I like to picture my fins like a butter knife slicing through the water on the "load" part of the frog kick. Keep as much of the power stroke within your "slipstream" too - no need to add resistence to your kick (means frog kicks don't have to be really wide to work well)

Aloha, Tim

I had the same issues when I switched to the frog kick. It just didn't seem natural. Now I have to focus on doing the flutter kick when I'm demonstrating it to students, and I still have a difficult time fluttering. After several dives doing the frog, it will just become natural. Just get out there and dive. And if you haven't tried it yet, do the modified frog. It's so much easier than the regular frog.

Erik Il Rosso:
Some sort of "Zen" approach to frog kicking using Jet fins ???

I like the idea...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Out of all the equipment that I own, I can honestly say that I have become "one" with my Jet Fins, so much so that whenever someone calls them "flippers" I gently correct them with the term "Jet Flippers":D

just to add in my two cents worth ... withs jets the frog kick is the only way to go

and as for them feeling like bricks and such its all about trim ... if you get your body streamlined your legs will follow and its that much easier to keep your kicking form technically correct

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom