Jet Fins And Feeling Tired...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently switched from a semi dry suit to a dry suit and in the end I also had to change my fins because they did not fit properly and had problems with floaty feet...
In this process I switched form a pair of Cressi Frog to a pair Jet Fins...

First I had problems with my dry suit but after 10 dives things are going a little bit better but Jet Fins were used for 7 dives only and I still haven't mastered them...

I feel like I got stone blocks instead of fins and adding the fact that I am still a little bit insecure with my dry suit most of the time I end up flutter kicking and very very tired while still underwater...

I suspect that not being totally relaxed and confident make this experience even worse and that maybe even the DMs leading the dives are going too fast...
Take also into consideration that I am not out of shape and swimm regularly twice a week...

Bottom line...

Does anybody got any good tips to help me master these fins ???

Got any good exercise I can do while on dry land to master the art of frog kick and maybe use the muscles I wasn't using when I was diving with Cressi Frog fins ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Well....I don't know any exercises to help with mastering the frog kick. But I can recommend one to strengthen you ankles and calves. I had the same problem at first.

If at the gym use the calf machine. Or, just do leg presses with just the balls of your feet. Lots of reps with light to moderate weight.

If at home use someting stable about 3" or so high(a couple pieces of 2X material nailed together works). Lift your body with just the balls of your feet. Relax as far down as your flexibility will allow. Use something to balance yourself, like a nearby wall or counter.

The stiffer fins definitely transfer a lot more thrust to the water. At the same time they demand more effort on the diver's part. But, in my opinion the effort is worthwhile.

If you're flutter kicking in Jets, I'm not surprised you're getting tired. In my personal experience, they're lousy flutter-kicking fins. In fact, when I was first using them and would unconsciously revert to the flutter kick, I would quickly switch back to the frog kick because it was so uncomfortable to do the other.

The important thing with the frog kick is to make sure your fins are horizontal when you separate them to load them. If not, you are wasting a ton of energy pushing the fins OUT in order to bring them back IN.

Don't forget

"you have to slow down to go fast."

Let the water do the work not your legs. Glide through and with the water don't force your way through. Water moves, confined or open it has a rhythm. When you relax and use technically correct frog kicks you'll have plenty of speed and use less energy. Watch the DM you are swimming with. See how effortless they appear, the secret is above.

Get your weight right, Concentrate on proper water position, relax, relax, relax, smooth kick and glide. When you get it right there will be no doubt.

If you slow down and blend with the water instead of trying to push it past you, life will be much happier.

TSandM:
In my personal experience, they're lousy flutter-kicking fins. In fact, when I was first using them and would unconsciously revert to the flutter kick, I would quickly switch back to the frog kick because it was so uncomfortable to do the other.

You got it right, my problem is that I "Unconsciously revert to the flutter kick" while I shouldn't...

The more I read your posts the more I understand that me and you had more or less the same problems during our diving carriers...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Hallmac:
Don't forget

"you have to slow down to go fast."

Let the water do the work not your legs. Glide through and with the water don't force your way through. Water moves, confined or open it has a rhythm. When you relax and use technically correct frog kicks you'll have plenty of speed and use less energy. Watch the DM you are swimming with. See how effortless they appear, the secret is above.

Get your weight right, Concentrate on proper water position, relax, relax, relax, smooth kick and glide. When you get it right there will be no doubt.

If you slow down and blend with the water instead of trying to push it past you, life will be much happier.

Some sort of "Zen" approach to frog kicking using Jet fins ???

I like the idea...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Erik Il Rosso:
Does anybody got any good tips to help me master these fins ???

Got any good exercise I can do while on dry land to master the art of frog kick and maybe use the muscles I wasn't using when I was diving with Cressi Frog fins ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso
What everyone else has said - Jet Fins need the frog kick. What I have done to build the frog kick is laps in the pool. I do 6-8 lengths doing just kicks, hands held in. Then take the fins off (leave booties on) and do 6-8 freestyle with mainly arm strokes and very little kicking - booties help keep feet up. Alternating back and forth its easy to go for quite a while. Just twice/week has solved my leg cramp/fatigue problems, and it makes the frog kick second nature so you don't revert back to the flutter kick.

Just my .02, and its worth every penny you paid for it.:D

Erik Il Rosso:
Some sort of "Zen" approach to frog kicking using Jet fins ???

I like the idea...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

I don't know if it is Zen worthy but it works. All about learning to operate in a new environment.

Don't worry about keeping up with the DM they will wait for you.

remember if your not having fun your doing it wrong!!!!!

Just curious,.. in currents what kind of kick is best while using Jets.

The best.....with the current frog, against the current dpv...:D

Back
Top Bottom