Jet Fins and Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I buy things on eBay I don't place any bids until the last day or so. This prevents me from buying somthing I have changed my mind on. When I do bid I usually make only one bid and that is for the highest amount I am willing to pay, not a penny more, and not a penny less. If someone bids a lower amount in the last few seconds I win, If someone bids a higher amount in the last few seconds they win at a price higher than I would have paid anyway. If nobody else bids on the item I win at the lowest price based on a reserve and the increment above other early bids.

If you already know what size fins will fit then this is one of the few things I would consider getting from Leisure Pro. When I bought my Jets I did not know precisely what size to get so I got them from my LDS and paid the slightly higher price in return for the service provided in assisting me with sizing. I made this choice as an informed choice.

Mark Vlahos

I pretty much do what Mark said. I figured out how much I would spend for a pair of used fins and that was all I intended to pay. If I had to pay more, I would buy new fins from either Scubatoys or somewhere else.

It took a while, but I finally bought a pair if Jets. People are paying way too much for used gear on e-bay.

Mark Vlahos:
When I buy things on eBay I don't place any bids until the last day or so. This prevents me from buying somthing I have changed my mind on. When I do bid I usually make only one bid and that is for the highest amount I am willing to pay, not a penny more, and not a penny less. If someone bids a lower amount in the last few seconds I win, If someone bids a higher amount in the last few seconds they win at a price higher than I would have paid anyway. If nobody else bids on the item I win at the lowest price based on a reserve and the increment above other early bids.

If you already know what size fins will fit then this is one of the few things I would consider getting from Leisure Pro. When I bought my Jets I did not know precisely what size to get so I got them from my LDS and paid the slightly higher price in return for the service provided in assisting me with sizing. I made this choice as an informed choice.

Mark Vlahos

Thats an excellent idea. I will have to try that on the next one.

DennisW:
It took a while, but I finally bought a pair if Jets. People are paying way too much for used gear on e-bay.

In general yes. I've seen people pay about the same for used gear as what they could have paid for new gear from some internet retailers. I've sometimes seen new gear sell on ebay for more than it could have been had on the net. But sometimes you find really some really good deals as well. You just need patience. If you want something in next week or so, then ebay may not be a good option.

I've been looking at the XL jet fins on ebay and I think they are over priced right now. I could get a new pair for $75 from LP (with shipping) so I would only pay about half that much for a used pay to try them out. Then I could sell them off for about the same price if I didn't like them. I've also been looking at other fins and they are fetching pretty good prices on ebay right now. Maybe the prices will go down during winter time.

I agree with Mark, bid as late as possible and no earlier than the last day (to prevent other people from having too much notice to up their bids), but only bid once and bid the max you are willing to pay.

Dennis is also correct that people often pay more than stuff is really worth on e-bay when it is still available as a new item. So it;s importatn to know what you want and to know how much it is really worth.

Ca_Ghost:
Thats an excellent idea. I will have to try that on the next one.

Last minute bidding ("sniping" as its termed) is the way to go.

Just remember, you aren't winning anything. You're buying.

Get into a "I'm competing" mindset and you spend well more than its worth, IMHO

try www.esnipe.com it is a proxy bidding service. Cheap and effective. I have a pair of Mediums that I bought on e-bay that are too small. I am going to resell them and get larges. Sizes are tough on the jets.

I have purchased many items on Ebay, including scuba equipment and boating items. I say about 50% of the item were good deals the other 50% of the tems were junk. So I figure I came out about even if I just bought it from a local retailer. Good hunting!

I don't see why people think sniping is wrong. In a real auction I have seen people wait until the last call to make a move--it is very common so why should this not happen in an e auction? It serves the seller and the buyer. The thing with ebay is to bid the max your willing to pay and if you lose then you can be happy knowing that some other sucker paid to much. I sometimes proxy bid early and sometimes I snipe. I always look at something I want and look who is bidding and then I kinda formulate a strategy. Really, sometimes the best thing is just to put your max bid in and then whatever happens will be. Most of the stuff I bought on ebay has been very well represented and I am happy. Every now and then I am not. On the balance ebay has done well for me. I also have seen people routinely pay more than I can get the same iem local so the advice given by several other posters not to let it become competitive is very good advice. N

Back
Top Bottom