jet fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have gotten the JetFins for the exact same reason Cave Diver did, except my previous fins were the Dacor knockoffs of the Volos.

JetFins are very versatile fins.

What (and how much) is the buoyancy of the Jet Fin (and the IDI clones).

Lots Negative?
almost Neutral?
Positive?

Thanks
Jeff

I have never used either but have been told that the idi turtles which are supposed to be the clones are actually better because they are stiffer

What (and how much) is the buoyancy of the Jet Fin (and the IDI clones)?

Lots Negative! I've never tried to figure out how many pounds, but drop them and you need to be quick. On the other side of the coin, you'll never need ankle weights and you'll develop calves like Arnold. :)

Steven

I've got the Turtle Fins due to the size of my drysuit boot, and I love them. I never felt the ankle soreness that some have.

When you kick with a Turtle, you know that you're moving! It's a very powerful fin if used correctly. In addition to that, you can master some kicks that are virtually impossible with other fins, like the back kick. I'm still working on that one, but I can feel it coming. Try it in a split fin-not!

there may be a slight difference in various fins but bottom line, it's the forward force you can download into the water and the size of the hole you poke in the H2O as you move through it that really counts. in the 60s on a greeno body board wearing churchill cut aways i learned to kick relatively straight legged with short fast strokes and could move quite fast that way, once i got in shape (it takes some conditioning) - since then i've kicked that way with many fins and they all worked equally well. when a lds owner told me that split fins had to be kicked a special way - the way i've kicked fins for 45 years - i realized that the low resistance they offer allows people to just adopt better kicking techniques. if you have the strength and stamina to kick say a tusa liberator like you would a split fin - you will move right along.
i would spend more time jogging and less time shopping for a perfect fin if i wanted to go fast and conserve air.
so now i'm thinking (always dangerous) after a 40-50 minute dive, would there be any harm in snorkling a couple miles at medium fast speed to build up conditioning - would the residual N level somehow make this dangerous?

Conventionaly wisdom is that VERY LIGHT exercise it good for off-gassing, but that doesn't sound like what you were proposing. I'd just putter around at the surface and stay away from the intensive stuff for a while after diving.

Rooster1 once bubbled...
I have never used either but have been told that the idi turtles which are supposed to be the clones are actually better because they are stiffer

Wetman can speak to that - he uses Turtles (big foot) and his buddy using Jetfins - I don't think they feel any difference except in foot pocket size.

I recently converted from Aqua Lung Blades to Jetfins and have been able to lose my ankle weights. Are they that negative, probably not. Ankle weights are a little like training wheels I suppose, particularly if your used to using a lot of air in the winter for insulation at depth.

Wetman's buddy was good enough to let me try his Jetfins before I bought mine- well worth doing this if you are uncertain between turtles and jetfins. Chances are if you have size 10 feet you will be fine in Jetfins (I'm size 10D). Rockboots are the wildcard however. You want to try getting your foot into the foot pocket with your winter weight gear: multiple socks, foot pocket insert if you use one, & Rockboots if you have them. I don't use Rockboots - Gates HD rubber suit man - so can't help you there.

In current they have performed well - you definitely want to install spring straps on them & adjust the length as required.

Backkick still eludes me - got to take a closer look at 5th D video....

I have a couple of jetfin questions but will start a new thread as I don't think these have been asked before.

I have found the opposite to be true. My Jet Fins are stiffer than my old Turtles. Jet Fins, there is no substitute!

Rooster1 once bubbled...

Back
Top Bottom