jet fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtle Fins are NOT stiffer than Jet Fins. Anyone who told you this, does not have them. They are much softer, and they have 2 rows of vents where the Jet Fins have 1 row and holes drilled through just below them.

I have used the Jet Fins with Halcyon Spring Heels for a long long time, and they are fantastic. They are stiff and wide which give you maximum thrust and support the weight of the tech gear configurations. Split Fins are NOT an option with tech diving.

I use Rock Boots, and quickly found out when I first got them that if you have a size 10 foot or bigger, your feet will not fit into them. So I used a heat gun to warm up the rubber and some wood blocks to hold the shape, and I re-formed my foot pocket, and now it is perfect, and I did not need to get another set of fins. The Turtle fins are quite good if you do not need the stiffness or the thrust, and they will definitely accomodate rock boots. If you don't use rock boots, stick with the Jet Fins, they are the best you can get.

DIR Tec Diver,

I had the same problem with purchasing my fins and in fact have held off on buying the turtle or jet fins because the fin pocket will not accomodate my DUI rock boot size 7. It seems that a 7 is inbetween a med and large. The large being to large to the point is is loose on my foot (not streamlined at all).

How long have you had your fins? Was the integrity of the fin was not compromised when you put the heat gun and block to yours (meaning thin out the rubber too much)?

Has anyone else you know or anyone on this board tried the same technique?

Annie

DIR Tech Diver mentioned reshaping the fin pocket of the jet fins by using heat and a block. "Necessity, the mother of invention".

Are there any DIR objections against cutting the top of the fin pocket in a curved shape to allow for more of the boot to fit deeper in the fin? Providing of course that not too much is cut thus compromising the mechanics of the fin itself.

Annie

I don't see the problem with the turtle fins. I have a set of XL jets that I love...but they only fit my wetsuit booties. So I got a set of turtles that I also love...that I wear with my drysuit.

I can do all the proper kicks in either set of fins so I don't see why jumping through all these hoops is necessary when the turtles aren't that expensive. Besides, after you go modifying the foot pocket are the fins still going to fit your wetsuit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom