jet fin question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
I am considering buying a pair of Jetfins (maybe scubapro). I have never dove with this style of fin an I was hoping those that have can give me a little info on them? Are they called jet fins because you can swim faster? I have heard the opposite that they are actually not a fast fin but more used for wreck penetration because they are smaller.

Rooster1 once bubbled...
I am considering buying a pair of Jetfins (maybe scubapro). I have never dove with this style of fin an I was hoping those that have can give me a little info on them? Are they called jet fins because you can swim faster? I have heard the opposite that they are actually not a fast fin but more used for wreck penetration because they are smaller.

They open you up to a wide variety of kicks to reduce silting.I dont think you will swim any faster with them.They can be hard on the ankles if used in a standard flutter kick compared to split fins.They also provide more power when swimming into a current.Here is a link to some of the different kicks that work good with these style fins http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/classindex.html

lal7176 once bubbled...

They open you up to a wide variety of kicks to reduce silting.I dont think you will swim any faster with them.They can be hard on the ankles if used in a standard flutter kick compared to split fins.They also provide more power when swimming into a current.Here is a link to some of the different kicks that work good with these style fins http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/classindex.html

Hmmmm....link didnt work right.Anyways click on the box that says GUE Fundamentals of DIR.The movie clips are located on the lower right.

Jetfins are the second pair of fins I bought. I've tried the split fins and thought they were just okay, not worth the extra $$. Anyway, the jetfins are comfortable, easy to kick, easy to put on and off, and small. It's a classic. I'm still a beginner diver and still learning different kicks but I think these fins will be perfect for a long time even as I get more advanced.

I got Jetfins several months ago. I was previously diving with Mares Volos. I thought the Volos were pretty good fins as they provided decent propulsion and speed with a minimal effort.

Until I hit a significant bottom current during one dive. I found them to be practically useless in a heavy current and I ended up sucking my air down pretty quick. I cut the dive short and surfaced while I still had air left and swore never again...

My initial impression after diving with the Jetfins the first time was that they were big, heavy and akward. They also caused some minor cramping in my calves.

After several more dives with them, I have come to the conlcusion that I love them and will probably never dive with anything else. Part of my initial problem was due to the fact that the Volos have practically no resistance in the water, and you can't kick the same with Jets as I did with the Volos.

Now that I am used to them, I can kick just as quickly as someone using Volos or splits. Small kicks produce a large amount of thrust, so I can kick once or twice and just glide for a moment before having to kick again.

They have also proven to be very effective with power kicks (frog, etc.) when faced with a current.

Personally, I like them now that I am used to them, but the experience of others may vary...

First of all, Jet Fins are made by Scubapro. No one else makes them. There are some fake look alikes, but they are not jets.

Jet fins are some of the best fins available on the market. They are generally less expensive than some of the tupperware fins and are less expensive than all of the split fins. I personally like them better than split fins. Some people like the split fins better, but I don't think split fins can out power jets. I've tried both.

And, they can not be worn out. Well, almost. I have seen a pair that were at least 30 years old that were no longer servicable. These fins were FredT's wife, Jean's fins and she completely wore them out.

DennisW once bubbled...
First of all, Jet Fins are made by Scubapro. No one else makes them. There are some fake look alikes, but they are not jets.

I have seen the fake look alikes and look remarkabley the same.....what is the performance difference between the scuba pro and the look alikes?

I agree with DennisW .
The jet fins cost here in my country 85$
And the fake ones cost 45$ but they don’t look
The same. U can say they look like from the same family
But no the same at all

Rooster1 once bnoorgled...

I have seen the fake look alikes and look remarkabley the same.....what is the performance difference between the scuba pro and the look alikes?
My SP JetFins and my IDI Turtle Fins perform much the same. The biggest difference is in the size/shape of the foot pocket - IDI has it figured out that paddle-footed divers like myself want to be able to wear our rock boots and miss our 34 year old JetFins.

I've had other fins, including some that I liked. None that I liked as much as my JetFins and none with anything even remotely approaching the durability - short of a hacksaw, you pretty much can't hurt the things.

They're heavy and require some getting used to, but if you dive in silty conditions they're the answer. I hear tell that, given about a gazillion dives, a diver can learn to get the power strokes from a split fin that the JetFin surrenders naturally, but how can you trust anyone with a crack in the middle of their fins?

Steven

I've never tried IDI Turtles, but I've heard they are identical. I know Rocket Fins are very different and do not perform nearly as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom