Jet Boat Russian Roulette?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porgyhunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We all have heard the wine of outgoard motors,or other propeller driven watercraft. I always let the boats noise pass before acending. Even coming up by your flag you never know. Well years ago I did just that, only to have a big jet powered boat directly over me. 3 more sec. I would have impacted. Can''t hear um. Best I know to do is as I break the water I wave my pole spear I carry. Mabe the Capt would see it at the last sec. I do fly a flag on a long pole so it can't resemble a lobster bouy, but boaters don't seem to be aware of it. Its unlikely to happen again, but I always feel like I'am rolling the dice. Sorry to give you another thing to worry about diving!!!

So why couldn't you hear the engines running? Just because they run in impeller instead of a propeller doesn't mean they're silent.

If you're diving in an area with a lot of boat traffic you should be shooting a tube before you head up.

-Charles

A sail boat doesn't make any noise either but its keel can part your hair.

Personally, i never surface at my flag, i always swim back to shore towing it behind me, and just crawl out onto shore. I've had too many "brown water" moments that involve boaters mistaking my flag for a ski buoy or something. But boaters in Texas lakes are insane, hopefully you guys up north have a better time with them.

The problem with boat motors is that you can hear them , but don't know where the sound is coming from until it's right on top of you. Usually then there's nothing you can do except hope they aren't still around if you are forced to surface.

I agree that you should shoot a buoy before you ascend in boating areas, the problem is most boater near me don't have any idea what it is and will come over to "check it out."

I usually dive from a jet boat and it's every bit as noisy as a prop driven boat imo :confused:

I usually dive from a jet boat and it's every bit as noisy as a prop driven boat imo :confused:

Maybe it was supersonic.

I always surface either up the anchor line, therefore at the boat, or in less than 6 foot deep water because I refuse to trust idiot boat drivers not to hit my flag.

Unfortunately not an option when drift diving.

The last 10 feet are always a bit nerve wracking. Still not sure how a jet boat doesn't make noise?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom