Best way to tow a dive flag while snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidawn

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm trying to be a little more law-abiding and less likely to be chopped up by a boat propeller.

I'm thinking of buying a dive flag with a buoy (either the inflatable kind or the pole with a cylindrical float and weight, needs to be travel size) for snorkeling, primarily in the Florida Keys. But it's not clear to me how people tow these when snorkeling, I'd really prefer not to have to hold the line in one hand the whole time. When I used to snorkel with my dad he'd just tie the line around his waist... I've read that's a terrible idea.

I was thinking a webbing belt with a plastic quick release buckle, attached to some kind of breakaway device, attached to the line. I'm not sure where to start with the breakaway bit though - anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Am I overthinking this? Should I just deal with holding it in my hand? I've also read other posts where some people are strictly against towing dive flags at all because of the entanglement risk or because ignorant boaters will zoom right up to look at them. If anyone has personal experience with towing a flag while snorkeling I'd love your input!

If your twenty feet down the the float/flag is probably more dangerous. On the surface you should have some thing if there are boaters in the area.

Well other than the obvious of making the entanglement hazard greater you will probably have trouble with the depth changes unless you figure out a good way to easily let line in and out with your rig.

I've snorkeled a few times on dive trips and I clipped my inflated SMB to my waist on a short lead. I suppose you could tie on a 1lb lead weight to anchor it if you wanted to dive down and leave it on the surface for a minute.

if you are snorkeling off of a boat, the boat should be flying the flag. Boats need to stay 300ft away from any dive flag in the water by Florida Law. If you are shore diving, then you need to tow it and you really should be towing it by hand.

If you need to tow it and need to travel with it, I highly recommend this one from @MAKO Spearguns
Professional Inflatable Spearfishing Float

You will steel need some way to attach it to you and for that it's a bit of personal preference and risk assessment. If you're truly snorkeling and staying at the surface, the float is going to be very close to you and for that I'm ok with basically using a jon line like the one below. Strap to wrist or ankle, and clip to the float. It will be 8ft behind you which is fine and you can always pull the quick release if you get caught.
Ankle / Wrist Jon - Buddy Line w/ Quick Release Shackle w/ T Pull Handle

If I was doing this, then I would take my jon line which is similar to the one above and instead of clipping it to the wrist/ankle strap, I would clip it to a d-ring that I have on my rubber freediving belt so I would be towing it from my waist. Could do it with any type of belt, but that would be my preference.
Freedive Weight Belt

If I was freediving, more than about 10ft deep, then you should have a buddy at the surface while you are alternating and could swap back and forth which whoever was holding the float.

If you are free diving, some sort of retractor like the 25' dog leashes could be effective.

If you're snorkeling can you wear it on the back of your head like a beanie propeller?

Thanks for all the responses. I wasn't aware that snorkeling often means really just staying at the surface and that it can be called freediving if you go below 10ft or so, I thought freediving meant at least 35 or 40 ft with a weight belt and all that. So I guess a better description of what I'd be doing is snorkeling plus a bit of freediving, from the shore. I avoid anywhere I see boats going though but better safe than sorry.

If I was freediving, more than about 10ft deep, then you should have a buddy at the surface while you are alternating and could swap back and forth which whoever was holding the float.

This sounds like the best option anytime I'm not with a boat. Avoids the entanglement risk. I will definitely look into that float, seems perfect, thank you!

If you are free diving, some sort of retractor like the 25' dog leashes could be effective.

I think that kind of retractor would pull way too hard, doesn't sound like a good idea. Plus they aren't made for water.

If you're snorkeling can you wear it on the back of your head like a beanie propeller?

I love it. I don't think Florida has a law against having your dive flags spinning in circles :)

Thanks for the recommendation tbone1004! Another idea for towing is to use an inexpensive reel and a steel hook.

When swimming, the diver would hold the hook and would generally have enough line out on the reel to make a dive to 10 or whatever feet. The ratcheting reel makes it quick and easy to adjust the length of line and it should prevent free-spooling and the line getting tangled on the reel.

If the diver wants to stop in a particular location, they can hook the steel hook onto a rock or some dead portion of the reef and leave the float anchored.

In general, in areas where there is the potential for boat traffic, it is better to hand carry a float rather than have it clipped off to the diver, should a boat inadvertently become tangled in the floatline. If a diver is holding a hook, it should be relatively easy to drop the hook.

Reef Hook

MRH-2__53049.1614197628.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom