Jellyfish bloom at BW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There were so many Jellyfish at BW last night we passed on our night dive. Both the surface and surf zone were covered. The boat ramp side had hundreds and a kayaker said the bloom extended 2+ miles off-shore. I heard reports that Lovers has the same bloom.

Perhaps conditions could change by the weekend?

Kathy, were they talking about moon jellies, or sea nettles? Swimming with moon jellies is fun, sea nettles...not so much.

if it's sea nettles that doesn't bode well for some classes that are going to try and hit the barge off of BW...only a few of us made it last year because of those @#$ things...

EDIT: Talking with Kristina, she brings up a good point about chances of spotting some mola mola's :)

Last edited:
I hope King Neptune calls in his jelly fish back to deeper waters...

MG

Sea nettles, many were 4" or less. So many I stayed out of the water - which is rare.

It's probably best to check in tomorrow evening with Glenns about conditions, before heading down for Sat AM.

hmm, I'll stop by BW tomorrow afternoon and report here. Maybe better to shore dive carmel side.

Jeff,

Will be nice to see your report on either side, Carmel or Monterey...

this was last year at aumentos.

IMG_3313%20%281%29.jpg

crazy. Last week there were a ton again, but I didnt have any good shots. Sea nettles are fun to look at but they always seem to hang out at safety stop levels.

What are the chances of these guys still being around on Sunday? Me and KLJ are past our colds and are hoping to dive. I think itll be kinda neat if there were a *few* still around- probably wont dive if there are a significant number though.

Ive been stung before (right across the top lip and cheek) so i know what to expect if i get a facefull of tenticles- but im pretty sure there would be zero chance of convincing KLJ that id would be fun to play 'dodge the nettles'...

What are the chances of these guys still being around on Sunday?

Pretty good, unfortunately. But they may move around, so maybe your best bet is to check ScubaBoard or talk to someone who dived on Saturday for the latest report, and you may be lucky.

They were pretty thick, the pool by the boat ramp would have been a great picture (and of course, the camera was nowhere nearby).

I'll be in Monterey tomorrow on a boat dive, I'll post a dive report when done, however, I think we are going south of Carmel, or that was the promise. I take it by Kathy's post these aren't simply diurnal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom