Jardines Aggressor - Cuba Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, Aquasub runs trips to Cuba about every 3 - 4 weeks and they seem to always have a full trip. I'm with Stoo. I've been diving in Cuba, but want to go back before all the Americans invade it more than they've started to. I would love to go to Jardines de la Reina, and Norbert is working on that for this summer, and it will be a long haul. He's also almost got a liveaboard ready to go to Isla du Juventud shortly, the last I talked to him a month ago...

Just to be completely clear, the regulations on tourist travel to Cuba haven't changed. The following guidance from Department of the Treasury is still in effect, and any attempt to circumvent the rules will be met with the "stiffest prosecution" (The words of the OFAC representative that I spoke with this morning at Department of Treasury). Just to be clear, I think travel to Cuba should be free and open, and I look forward to taking my boat there, but Scuba Diving is specifically mentioned in the literature.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cubatrav.pdf

CUBA TRAVEL ADVISORY

WARNING: TOUR PACKAGES FOR SCUBA DIVING,

BICYCLING, HUNTING, FISHING, HIKING OR
OTHER TOURIST TRAVEL IN CUBA ARE ILLEGAL

It has come to the attention of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”) that certain specialty tours to Cuba that are offered by travel agencies in third countries are marketed to U.S travelers as being in compliance with the prohibitions of the U.S. embargo against Cuba. These trips are usually designed for individuals with an interest in outdoor activities, such as scuba diving, bicycling, hunting or fishing. The sales material often maintains that because the traveler prepays the third­ country travel agency for expenses that otherwise would be paid by the traveler while within Cuba, such as hotels, meals, ground transportation, equipment rental and services, etc., this type of trip is in compliance with the applicable U.S. regulations on travel-related transactions involving Cuba that apply to persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.

This advisory is to alert U.S. travelers who participate in such trips that engaging in prepaid arrangements for travel expenditures otherwise prohibited by the Cuba Assets Control Regulations, 31 CFR Part 515 (the “Regulations”), will expose travelers to the possibility of civil monetary penalties from OFAC. [Return to the OFAC directory and click on the button marked LEGAL to see a copy of the Regulations.]

A Cuban vacation package that is prepaid by U.S travelers through a travel agency located in a third country does not qualify as “fully-hosted” travel as described in the
Regulations. This is true regardless of the type of currency that is used to purchase the package tour. This type of trip is simply an “all-inclusive” vacation package similar to ones available at most resort and vacation destinations anywhere in the world.

The Regulations prohibit all transactions relating to travel-related tourist transactions in Cuba including prepayment in third countries for Cuba-related expenses.

U.S. travelers must take care in relying upon the Cuba travel­ related information made available by travel agencies operating within or outside the United States as a definitive source of information on the U.S. economic embargo against Cuba. In the event you have any questions about travel transactions with Cuba, please contact OFAC or carefully check the Regulations before you engage in any activities that may be in a violation of the law. The Regulations are the definitive statement of the law with respect to the prohibitions of the U.S. embargo with respect to Cuba.

Date 06/27/01

---------- Post added April 8th, 2015 at 11:59 AM ----------

nothing yet on aggressor/dancer website,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Because as an American company, they are not authorized to offer this tour. Where did your money for the trip go, inside the US or outside, just out of curiosity? My discussion with the Cuba OFAC representative was most unenlightening. He couldn't/wouldn't tell me when where or anything else except "we don't issue charter permits to vessels".

Here is the information I have received from Aggressor. Although I regularly book Aggressor and Dancer charters, at this point I would probably not recommend any US citizens for these trips. Too much conflicting government info.

Cuba Oceans For Youth flyer Seattle 2015_Page_1.jpgCuba Oceans For Youth flyer Seattle 2015_Page_2.jpg

I had a chance to book the entire boat as well but there are just to many uncertainties for me right now to have my folks send them money. And it's my understanding that each individual will have to pay "Oceans for youth" directly. They collect your money. If it all falls through will there be any recourse to get your money back? I'll give it a few years and if it all goes well, I may book it.

Yes, we tend to ruin every place we go, With our clothed backs and our cardigans and our transistor radios, complaining about the tea or they don't make it properly, do they? And stopping at endless Majorcan bodegas selling fish and chips and Watney's Red Barrel and calamaris and two veg. And sitting in our cotton sunfrocks, squirting Timothy White Suncream all over our puffy, raw, swollen, purulent flesh, 'cos they overdid it on the first day. Being herded into countless Hotel Miramars and Bellevues, Bontinentals with their international luxury modern roomettes and swimming pools full of draft Red Barrel and fat German businessmen pretending to be acrobats and forming pyramids and frightening the children and barging into the queues. And if you're not at your table spot on seven you miss your bowl of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup, the first item in the menu of International Cuisine.

Every Thursday night there's a bloody cabaret in the bar featuring some tiny emaciated dego with nine-inch hips and some fat bloated tart with her hair Bryll-creamed down and big arse presenting flamenco for foreigners. And an adenoidal typist from Birmingham with flabby legs and diarrhea trying to pick up hairy, bandy legged, whop degos called Manuel. And once a week there's an excursion to local ruins, where you can buy Cherry Aid and melted ice cream and bleedin' Watney's Red Barrel.

And one night they take you to a typical restaurant with local atmosphere and color and you sit next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing "I love the Costa Brava!" "I love the Costa Brava!" And you get cornered by some drunken green grocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and last Tuesday's 'Daily Express' and he's on and on and on about how it is running the country and how many languages Margaret Powell can speak and she throws up all over the cuba libres. And spending four days on the tarmac at Luton Airport on a five-day package tour with nothing to eat but dry British Airways sandwiches. And you can't even get a glass of Watney's Red Barrel because you're still in England with the bloody bar closes every time you're thirsty. And the kids are crying and vomiting and breaking the plastic ashtrays. They keep telling you won't be another hour, but you know damn well your plane is still in Iceland, because it had to turn back, trying to take a party of Swedes to Yugoslavia. Of course it loads you up there at 3 a.m. in the morning. And then you sit on the tarmac for four hours because of unforeseen difficulties, i.e. the permanent strike of airtraffic control over Paris. When you finally get to Malaga airport, everybody's queueing for the bloody toilet, and queueing for the bloody half-customs officers, and queueing for the bloody bus that isn't there, waiting to take you to the hotel that hasn't yet been built. When you finally get to the half-built Algerian ruin called the Hotel Limassol, while paying half the holiday money to a license Spaniard in a taxi, there's no water in the pool, there's no water in the bath, there's no water in the tap, there's only a bleeding lizard in the bidet, and half the rooms are doublebooked, and you can't sleep anyway, 'cause the permanent are in the jungles in the hotel next door. Meanwhile, the Spanish National Tourist Board promises that the raging cholera epidemic is merely a mild outbreak of the Spanish Conleigh, rather like the previous outbreak in 1616, even the bloody rats are dying from it!

Morning, I'm Smoketoomuch.

Morning, I'm Smoketoomuch.

Would you like to come upstairs?

What's all this about going upstairs?

Just to be clear, my comment about going before the "Mericans get there wasn't meant as a slight in any way... Only that if/when this happens, it will make for larger crowds and likely price increases.

In the mean time, if anyone from the US of A wants to go, you can stay over night at my house and fly from Toronto the next morning! :)

It's all good. It gives me a chance to practice my Monty Python.

I remember Jean-Michel Cousteau telling me that his father was quite impressed with Fidel Castro's interest in preserving the marine ecosystems off Cuba. A few years ago I had an invite to go to Guantanamo to dive but had scheduling conflicts. I'm not a big fan of Caribbean diving (greatly prefer the South Pacific and Asia) but I'd be interested in diving Cuba to see how it differs from other Caribbean destinations I've dived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom