Jardines Aggressor - Cuba Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember Jean-Michel Cousteau telling me that his father was quite impressed with Fidel Castro's interest in preserving the marine ecosystems off Cuba. A few years ago I had an invite to go to Guantanamo to dive but had scheduling conflicts. I'm not a big fan of Caribbean diving (greatly prefer the South Pacific and Asia) but I'd be interested in diving Cuba to see how it differs from other Caribbean destinations I've dived.

Hi Dr Bill, just to be clear, not all Cuban dive sites are equally good. Most are similar to the rest of the Caribbean and have their healthy colourful patches as well as bleached patches, and the larger sea life can be hit or miss. I haven't done Jardines de la Reina yet, but from everything I've heard and seen, it is consistently very healthy, colourful, and with a lot of big life.

Just to be clear, my comment about going before the "Mericans get there wasn't meant as a slight in any way... Only that if/when this happens, it will make for larger crowds and likely price increases.

Ok Stoo. Where you have larger crowds justifying price increases, you have the building of an entire infrastructure to support the larger crowds: more hotels, less natural habitat, more runoff, more waste and pollution, and more traffic and impact on the dive sites. Right now it's primarily Canadians and Europeans visiting Cuba, and it's nothing that special for us. For some Americans, it's becoming a "bucket list" item with all the numbers that might imply. Eek! The 'Mericans are coming!

I've been with Ocean Doctor and we're taking another group in December (it's full). Lots of misinformation here but, as usual, Wookie's right on target.

Ocean Doctor is run by Dr. David Guggenheim, an actual scientist (marine biologist). He has the license through the US Treasury Department to conduct trips under the people-to-people, cultural/educational allowance--and his trips are truly educational. David's been working with other marine biologists in the Gardens for years and he's nearing 100 trips to Cuba. He's well-known in the scientific community there and has been an integral part of the studies they're conducting in the marine reserve. We met with multiple scientists while we were in Havana, toured some museums, traveled to a very interesting self-sustaining town in the jungle and, at every turn, were exposed to and spoke with Cuban citizens. It's a wonderful and very eye-opening trip; I had no idea how environmentally-focused the Cubans are. It's a beautiful country populated by very friendly, highly-educated people who are proud of their rich heritage. And, thanks to their government, virtually all of them are extremely poor.

We did spend five days in the Gardens doing two dives per day. It's stunning and I've not seen anything that even approaches its beauty in the Caribbean. Simple as that. We stayed on the Tortuga, which is a "floating hotel" and dove from a tender. Their other boats that have been mentioned as being permanently moored must have loooooooonnnnnggg anchor rodes as they pick you up in Jucaro and motor out to the Gardens. We'll be aboard Avalon II which, when I was there before, was undergoing a complete overhaul and refit--down to stripped metal. Oh, we had several scientists on board with us and, every evening, were provided a presentation and Q&A about various aspects of their work, including and environmental economist--who knew?

Booking a trip is a process and yes, payments must be made directly to the license holder--in this case, Ocean Doctor (a 501(c)(3) organization). It took David years to get his license, it has to be renewed regularly and there are no guarantees that will happen.

Despite rumors to the contrary, US law regarding travel to Cuba has not changed one iota. Rules are strict (you are required to keep a record of every cent you spend while there, for instance), itineraries are not flexible and it is, at times, rather adventurous.

Just wanted to clear the air re: Ocean Doctor and legal travel to Cuba by US Citizens. It's a far cry from a way to skirt any laws and simply go diving in Cuba--it's every bit the cultural and educational experience it's billed to be.

I am doing the Jardines Aggressor in mid-May. I'll come back on this thread and give a report after we get back.

I am doing the Jardines Aggressor in mid-May. I'll come back on this thread and give a report after we get back.
Are you doing this with OYF? What are your travel arrangements?

Yes, I am going through OFY. Island Hoppers Scuba in Nashville set the trip up. We will have the entire boat. As of right now, I am getting into Cuba on CopaAir, going through Panama City, Panama. Looks like US airlines might start flying into Havana very soon. If I can get a better flight, I will cxl the CopaAir.

Flights from Nashville to Miami are easy, then a charter flight from Miami takes 50 minutes into Havana. It flies early, you have to be at the airport for check-in at 4 AM, but at least you aren't flying all day....

Flights from Nashville to Miami are easy, then a charter flight from Miami takes 50 minutes into Havana. It flies early, you have to be at the airport for check-in at 4 AM, but at least you aren't flying all day....
They only release flights/schedules 3 months in advance, rather than the 11 months of the scheduled airlines, so it is hard to plan. And they may be holding off right now while they wait for the scheduled airlines to settle out.

They only release flights/schedules 3 months in advance, rather than the 11 months of the scheduled airlines, so it is hard to plan. And they may be holding off right now while they wait for the scheduled airlines to settle out.
I get that, but I haven't been unable to get on the charter even booking it 2 days out. Either from Miami or Key West.

Just got back from the Jardines Aggressor a week ago. AMAZING trip! Every single part was a great experience. Havana is not what I was expecting. Instead of a city stuck in the 50's, it is a city that has been deteriorating since the 50's. It must have been a spectacular city in the 30's and 40's. The accommodations there by OFY are really great as are the guide led tours of the city. The Jardines Aggressor is a beautiful boat; the nicest live aboard I have been on. We had a master room so we had plenty of space, a normal sized bathroom (full shower), and picture windows. The crew was extremely accommodating and the food was awesome. Nothing was left out. But...the diving! We had 16 people on our trip; our experiences covered almost all diving areas in the world. Everyone agreed that it was absolutely the best ever. The reefs are gorgeous and healthy. The fish are friendly (especially the big groupers) and abundant. Reef sharks were constant companions, and we saw some Silkys. The water temp was 86- 87 on every dive. Viz wasn't as much as we would have liked; usually around 60 ft. They said it had to do with the Summer rain on the island. They said Winter is the best time to make the trip. Night dives were also amazing.

BTW...the number of people now allowed into Jardines de la Reina is now 2000. It is pristine now, but I expect that it will not be that way for long.

I will watch this thread and try to reply to individual questions about the trip.

Back
Top Bottom