Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, from what I've read whale meat can be highly toxic (pollutants such as mercury, PCBs).
You're misunderstanding slightly. The toothed whale species that eat other fish are the ones that have the problems with high mercury & PCB content.

Krill-eating whales don't have the same problems, and from what I understand taste a bit different too.

Every nation I know fishes miles away from their own territorial waters - high seas fishing. Why shouldn't Japan as well?

Kim,
I'm a vegetarian, nice try though.
Fair enough. Many who protest aren't though.

Do you also try to tell other people that they shouldn't eat meat or fish at all? I mean..... as that's obviously what you yourself believe that would just be consistent right?

You're misunderstanding slightly. The toothed whale species that eat other fish are the ones that have the problems with with high mercury & PCB content.

Krill-eating whales don't have the same problems, and from what I understand taste a bit different too.

Every nation I know fishes miles away from their own territorial waters - high seas fishing. Why shouldn't Japan as well?

My main point with the traveling had to do with the toxicity of whale meat. I was saying that if whale meat has a high risk of being toxic, why travel the distance? If what you say is true then that answers the question and I stand corrected.

hmmmm....Lef, Chimay, Alligash, Corsendonk, Malheur.....which Belgian Tripel is best to simulate shooting from a moving ship?

I shall commence the scientific study immediately!

Actually I learned today I have roof rats, so I shall be up the attic with an air rifle tonight :rofl3::rofl3:

I hope the roof rat shepherds aren't around!

try with Maredsous :D

"my point was that you could insert just about any regularly hunted animal into your statement and it holds true. so logically you must feel the same way about hunting any animal."

I think that sport hunting is a disgusting hobby. Killing for the sake of killing is not necessary. Hunting for necessity is another thing completely.

Hunting in your own environment as a necessity of survival is different from traveling around the world to a completely different environment to hunt an animal whose population is not quite so numerous as those of many other animals. Also, from what I've read whale meat can be highly toxic (pollutants such as mercury, PCBs). Why would you travel so far for that risk and then serve it as school lunch in your public school system?

It's not a necessity for me to hunt, I do it because I like to harvest what I eat and the healthiness of the meat

Sea Shepherd hasn't hurt anyone, so yes, the end does justify the means.
I wouldn't call stink bombs, harassment and instigation violent. What is violent
are flash grenades and bullets and let's not forget that the Japanese rammed SS
last year. Provoking someone to violence and committing it are two different things.

I'm going to hazard a guess that your mother wouldn't be proud see what you just wrote. So long as nobody gets hurt, anything goes? Lying? Bullying? Cheating? Most of us learned better than this back in kindergarten, I hope you'll reconsider your position. I wish Paul Watson would, too.

As to ramming vessels, the Sea Shepherd folks got their start with that back in 1979 when they intentionally rammed a Portuguese vessel and have taken credit for at least six more rammings since then. The Marley Fowat, another vessel in the Sea Shepherd fleet and captained by Paul Watson, even has a sharpened steel I-beam welded to it's superstructure (Watson calls it "the can opener") that is used to scrape and puncture the hull of whaling vessels. The Fowat also involved in "Operation *******", so named because of the intention to use it to ram another vessel in the stern. Though Watson was one of the founders of Greenpeace, even they have officially withdrawn support for the Sea Shepherd and condemned the group because of their policy of violence and the danger they create at sea. Whether the Sea Shepherd was the rammer or the rammed last year is an open question, however it is undisputed that they were intentionally and willfully in violation of a whole bunch of safety at sea rules and were the proximate cause of the collision. That people haven't been hurt has had more to do with the restraint and generosity of the whalers than it does the Sea Shepherd folks.

If provocation is never an excuse for violence, it sure can be a mitigating factor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom