James F. Cahill died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivyleaguediver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I saw in yesterdays Salem News that James F. Cahill died on Feb. 28, 2008 in Gloucester, Mass at the age of 81. He was an icon of diving on the North Shore of Boston and his obituary states that he is widely credited as being the first person to scuba dive in New England waters. He was the founder and president of New England Divers, Inc. which was headquartered in Beverly, Mass. He also served as the harbormaster of Salem, Mass. from 1981 to 1991.

I saw in yesterdays Salem News that James F. Cahill died on Feb. 28, 2008 in Gloucester, Mass at the age of 81. He was an icon of diving on the North Shore of Boston and his obituary states that he is widely credited as being the first person to scuba dive in New England waters. He was the founder and president of New England Divers, Inc. which was headquartered in Beverly, Mass. He also served as the harbormaster of Salem, Mass. from 1981 to 1991.

I lost a bet on a super bowl to "The Captain" at an early DEMA show. It was a $100.00 bet. I got back most of the hundred dollars later that night at dinner and the local pub. Jim Cahill: a warm, generous and courageous man. A great privilege to know him. RIP Mr. Cahill, say hello to Frank Scalli.

Jim Cahill: a warm, generous and courageous man. A great privilege to know him.

I began my diving professional career working for four years at New England Divers and had the opportunity to work directly with Jim Cahill for over a year. He was a larger than life, dynamic man, with a huge heart, who had a tremendous influence on an entire generation of dive industry professionals who worked throughout the whole industry - at manufacturers and training agencies, as sales reps and retailers.

Jim's impact on so many of us compelled me to initiate Jim's nomination for the DEMA Reaching Out Award / Hall of Fame in 2001. I had the privilege to visit with Jim for three hours one afternoon about eight months after his enshrinement; he was still deeply moved that the dive industry saw fit to honor him so many years after he was no longer involved.

Too often what the pioneers like Jim Cahill contributed to diving is forgotten and unappreciated by today's dive industry. We need more Jim Cahills in diving.

Many of this industries brightest stars can thank Jim Cahill / New England Divers for giving them a start. My families path in life was forever changed by a meeting between Jim and My father. Gene Brandow. Sadly my father passed in 2005 but kept the New England Divers name going all these many years. There is still one store remaining that carries the Name and traditions started by all the Cahills' back in 1953. For myself a will be forever grateful to Jim Cahill for his friendship and support he gave my family all these years. May your dives be forever clear, your adventures never ending and your memory go on with those of us left here on the dock.

Say Hello to my Dad and to Frank for me too.

RIP MB

Back
Top Bottom