First to Dive Steamship Portland Shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy moly. This is a type of diving that I just have no plans to get anywhere near, but it sure makes a great read. What a fascinating find. Thanks for the post(s).

While y'all are arguing about terminology....I liked the articles use of the term "caisson disease" relating the need for extended deco. Kinda fits with the ships era in the 19th century. :)

As was Paul who made the first post.

Ah, I must have missed where he said that, if he did.

Went to a presentation by Aue_Mike (Mike Barnett) tonight. Afterward, some of us were chatting about this wreck.

He's one of the leaders.
Bob Foster

Later Paul

I was just wondering how much adrenaline you had going when you landed on it. And since you had so long in between if you had a few sleepless night, just from being so excited (I know I would).:)

honestly, that's rov time in my book---can stay alot longer & get better pics.......

Don't you have a sense of adventure? Sure ROV images are great. I can see pictures of the Earth take from satellites but if I had the chance I would rather be up in the space shuttle seeing those images with my own two eyes.

I think this story is fantastic. I saw it in a local paper up here in NH.
Congrats guys. Where can we hear more or see pictures?

Chig

Thanks for all the comments. We'll probably show more at an upcoming MWDC meeting during the winter. It'll take me a while to process the video (i.e. get proficient with the software:D). Just haven't had time to sit down and do it.

This was truly an adventure for all of us, but it was a long time coming - meaning we didn't just go from 150FSW to 450FSW in a single jump, we took many progressively deeper wreck dives together on the same boat over 2 years. So our confidence was high in our methods and abilities. And we called 2 dives on the spot when conditions just didn't look right, meaning we didn't approach this like a bunch of yahoos.

It was definitely a real thrill to come down on the wreck and see the unique features Paul described which could only mean the Portland. Made all the hard work worth every bit. And it was me that initially labeled us "recreational" divers to the press. I didn't know what else to call us - we're not professionals, we do this for recreation...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom