Jacques Cousteaus plaque is wearing out and looking pretty bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any thoughts or ideas on how to preserve it or should it be replaced?

Latest Picture by divinman.
DSC_8764.jpg

And I thought it was just that my eyes are getting worse! I don't pay it much attention after all my past visits to it, but I did notice it was harder to read the last time I looked. It would be nice to replace it with a newer one.

Does anyone bother to maintain the plaque by cleaning it every so often (as others have done with other plaques in the area)? Perhaps it is fitting that a man who gave so much of himself to the ocean should have a memorial that becomes part of the ocean without human intervention. In any event, would a good cleaning help to restore it or is it the material that is deteriorating? It looks like the metal is oxiding by the look of the patina, but it is hard to say without knowing what the composition of the material is.

Our family used to watch him every time he was on. Those a good memories from my childhood. Not only did he expose me to a wonderful watery world, it created some great family time.

Does anyone bother to maintain the plaque by cleaning it every so often (as others have done with other plaques in the area)?

The problem is it has been cleaned too often, by maybe too harsh of methods. It is almost worn the letter off altogeather.

Could we do a Scubaboard sponsored repair/replacement effort? Get donations to fix it with some acknowledgement to Scubaboard (or a sub-group like CA Kelp Divers) on it?

Good idea Mike.

Looks like brass from the oxidization. If it is decided to replace it I would suggest stainless...probably cost the same but at least it will last.
Good Luck
O

Could we do a Scubaboard sponsored repair/replacement effort? Get donations to fix it with some acknowledgement to Scubaboard (or a sub-group like CA Kelp Divers) on it?

Perhaps you could get Jean Michele or one of Jacques' grandkids to lend support. I think his grandaughter Alexandra had a socal connection as does her uncle with Ocean Futures in Santa Barbara. The memorial is a fitting tribute to one who gave so much and whose work continues.

I would be happy to donate my time to remove and replce the plaque.

What would be nice is to find out how the plaque was installed and what materials were used.

Dr. Bill, do you remember how placed it? I don't think it was the CCD?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom