Jacques Cousteau - The Blue Hole of Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard the rumor and, if true, I suspect it was only an isolated corral head or two removed to clear an otherwise natural channel. The National Geogprahic article referred to them threading their way between reefs and coral heads to get there but I do not recall any reference to blasting, so if blasting occurred the National Geopraphic Society is an unindicted co-conspirator.

Personally I don't see any reason for any blasting to have occurred. It would have been an additional expense for an organization that was never swimming in cash and that in any event had lauches capable of getting the required divers and equipment there anyway. Dynamite? Why bother?

The rumor always seems to create a mental image of JYC blasting the nautical eqivalent of a highway through hundred of yards of solid reef to get Calypso to the Blue Hole.

In a few documentaries I have seen, they talk about this and even show some footage from the boats that were there. It's not a rumor. He wasn't able to get his boat in through the small opening that was already there, so he took dynamite and made it bigger. It was "in the name of science" so it was allowed to enable them to do research. Wonder how much trouble we would get in if we did that. What if we told them it was for "research?"

"There are other indications that at this early stage Cousteau and his crew were not the best custodians of the life they sought to capture on film. At one point they dynamite a remote coral reef just off the coast of Belize. While Cousteau condemns dynamiting as a fishing method, he justifies it for science as the only way to take an accurate census of the marine life in an area. He never tells us why it is important to take a census and what the results are. Instead, he just shows us hundreds of fish lying dead on the sea floor and a puffer fish deflating as it dies. It is a "tragic scene," he admits, but he doesn't linger on the fact that he created it."

Source: Cousteau and His Scientific Journey

Unless the reef he blew up just "happened" to be off the SAME coast as the Blue Hole, and unless he only used dynamite once, it is unlikely they are talking about another place. Also, if he used dynamite once, why would it be hard to believe that he did it there?

To judge Cousteau's actions in the 50's, 60's and 70's by today's standards is inappropriate. As one who considered himself a naturalist (admittedly in diapers), environmentalist and scientist through that period, things were not as clearly understood as they "are" today. The consequences of actions generally were not as well known.

Cousteau was initially an explorer rather than a biologist, but he grew to really love and care for the seas he explored and the marine life in them. On the whole, his long-term effect in helping to preserve marine ecosystems was far more positive than negative.

I don't see where anyone was judging him. My comment about what would happen to us was simply to show how much more regulated we are today. Personally, I am glad he did it. Now, ALL of us get to enjoy the ease of access to this fine dive site. I am also greatful for the advances and contributions he made.

The question here was is it true or is it a rumor. And I answered. That's all. No judgement.

UPDATE for this old post - Episode 16: Secrets of the Sunken Caves originally aired March 19, 1971

Hi Everybody, we returned recently from Belize and experienced the amazing experience that is the Blue Hole. Now that I'm back state-side I have been infatuated with the story and reading everything I can get my hands on. I heard from a fellow diver that Jacques Cousteau actually did a documentary on the Hole, using his small submarines.
I've searched Amazon and Ebay and have been unable to find the exact DVD series that would include the Blue Hole footage.

Does anybody have any experience with Cousteau's programs, are they even available? Here is what I found on National Geographic:

Thanks so much!

Shop Atlases, Books, DVDs, Videos, Travel Clothing, Gifts & More - National Geographic Store

The Blue Hole was in the Sleeping Sharks of the Yucatan filmed in 1975 and was part of the series The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau aired from 1968 to 1975, I remember them well. I heard the stories of blasting to get in but it isn't mention in the show.

[video]https://youtu.be/hM9pa5JQmz0[/video]

Fabulous, captain! Thank you for this. I particularly enjoyed the shots at the end showing the divers on their scooters playing bob and weave amongst the stallactites of the Great Blue Hole in Belize.

So, isn't there a rumor / truth...??? that Jacques Cousteau used dynamite to blast as passage for his ship into the blue hole? Does anybody have any hard facts on that story?

Yes that is true. I saw that show when it first came out. That is why you are having a hard time finding it on line now. They would have to edit too much out of those shows if they were to try to put them on the air now.

---------- Post added June 6th, 2015 at 07:40 AM ----------

In a few documentaries I have seen, they talk about this and even show some footage from the boats that were there. It's not a rumor. He wasn't able to get his boat in through the small opening that was already there, so he took dynamite and made it bigger. It was "in the name of science" so it was allowed to enable them to do research. Wonder how much trouble we would get in if we did that. What if we told them it was for "research?"

It was not in the name of science. They could have towed the sub they used in through the existing channel without blowing anything up. It was done for a photo op, an ariel view of the boat in the blue hole. If I remember correctly the existing channel was too shallow, they did find another way in that was deep enough but blocked by a line of coral. They blow up more then a few coral heads but they did not blast a whole new channel.

It is true... I've been diving in Belize and if you look at the Blue Hole from a sat photo you can clearly see the entry where he blasted his way through the reef so his ship could get inside to study it. As others have said, that was a long, long time ago. The knowledge gained and the education of the masses with what he documented... Was it right or wrong? I think it was right by those times and wrong by these times. Those were different times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom