Jacksonville in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcimus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Greetings from the great white north. (Saskatchewan)

New diver, just certified OW in January down in PDC. I'm going to be down in Jacksonville for work in November some time, and I'd like to get a few dives in after I'm done (will stay a few extra days after the work stuff is all done.) I'll be bringing my own gear other than weights and a tank, basically I'd just like to show up, rent air and weights and go diving. I'll be solo....wife's coming down but she's not a diver.

Naturally, I have a few questions:

What should I bring for exposure protection? (Basically, what's the water temp that time of year....and what range of suit should be be looking at bringing along.)
Where is a good dive shop that may be busy enough to furnish me with an insta-buddy?
What are some really good dive sites down there? Keep in mind that I'm new, so I'm probably not ready to swim with anything larger or meaner than a 12 lb. pike.

Greetings from the great white north. (Saskatchewan)

New diver, just certified OW in January down in PDC. I'm going to be down in Jacksonville for work in November some time, and I'd like to get a few dives in after I'm done (will stay a few extra days after the work stuff is all done.) I'll be bringing my own gear other than weights and a tank, basically I'd just like to show up, rent air and weights and go diving. I'll be solo....wife's coming down but she's not a diver.

Naturally, I have a few questions:

What should I bring for exposure protection? (Basically, what's the water temp that time of year....and what range of suit should be be looking at bringing along.)
Where is a good dive shop that may be busy enough to furnish me with an insta-buddy?
What are some really good dive sites down there? Keep in mind that I'm new, so I'm probably not ready to swim with anything larger or meaner than a 12 lb. pike.

Hey ! Welcome to Jacksonville. Check out www.jacksonvillescubaclasses.com (North Fl. Divers). Our home base is in Jacksonville. We offer classes and statewide monthly weekend trips. If you ever want to join our group pm me. There is never a problem pairing you up with another diver. Check us out.. Thanks!

Water will be in the 70s offshore,so 3 mil is fine.Vis can be epic or 20' depending on weather.You have a greater chance of seeing a variety of large animals here than just about anywhere else.The freshwater springs are 2 hours away and I don't recall needing a shop to book a trip or dive there.

As far as I know these guys Atlantic PRO Divers: Jacksonville Florida #1 Scuba Diving Certification Lessons and Dive Charter Boat.
are the only ones with their own boat that run offshore charters.

Many of the "shops" in Jax are sketchy and interested more in selling trips and classes than actual diving and have little or no experience diving here,being mostly springs divers, S.FL or Keys divers.

Many of the charters are even sketchier than the shops they are affiliated with.

Water will be in the 70s offshore,so 3 mil is fine.Vis can be epic or 20' depending on weather.You have a greater chance of seeing a variety of large animals here than just about anywhere else.The freshwater springs are 2 hours away and I don't recall needing a shop to book a trip or dive there.

As far as I know these guys Atlantic PRO Divers: Jacksonville Florida #1 Scuba Diving Certification Lessons and Dive Charter Boat.
are the only ones with their own boat that run offshore charters.

Many of the "shops" in Jax are sketchy and interested more in selling trips and classes than actual diving and have little or no experience diving here,being mostly springs divers, S.FL or Keys divers.

Many of the charters are even sketchier than the shops they are affiliated with.

+1 for APD, Bob runs a great shop and boat. He will not disappoint you. Only problem with winter here is the winds can be a real PITA so you may be forced to hit the springs. But if the weather cooperates Bob has a bada$$ boat and is a top notch diver and captain.

Where are the springs? Close by? Probably rent a car while I'm down there, but if you can point me in the right direction, I'll be able to plan better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom