Jacket BCs versus BP, etc. Help me decide! Thanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of the water I'd rather have a soft BC to a hard plate. Carrying a large plate of metal is not exactly the most ergonomic. I've had the plate interfere with tank holders on boats,
Adam

I've had the exact opposite experience. Long walks to the beach with a Zeagle Escape were killing my lower back, because of the lack of structure. For me the BP is almost orthopedic by comparison. The difference, for me, is like the difference between a ruck sack and a back pack with a frame. I can't imagine a BP interfering with any tank holder I've ever seen.

Hatul and Evad:
I believe you are both right but (from what I understand, sorry if I am wrong) you don't talk about the same thing:
- I agree with Hatul that this huge chunk of metal with a long wing is sometimes encumbering (for example you can't put it inside the standard crate used by many dive centers ; or it's impossible to store in some tank holders on boats, I've seen it)
- I agree with Evad that (depending upon the plate) some BPs provide excellent support for the back, and actually more so than many traditional BCDs.

Bottomline from the above posts:
- If you need less than 10 pounds of lead, you won't notice much difference regarding buoyancy control & trim between a BP/W and a jacket BCD, and a simple jacket BCD will be a bit more streamlined than many wings, and will provide a better distributed support at the surface. There are other factors (comfort, freedom of the chest, paunch hidden or not :), weight and bulk, overall price, robustness, dumpable weights, modularity vs convenience, adjustment, style, etc) that will also play a role in your choice.
- If you need more lead, then you will probably notice that BP/Ws are superior to jacket BCDs regarding trim and (often) comfort on your back, and with a SS BP you will have less lead to carry.

That a diver really needs the lead he or she uses is another story.

Last edited:
I've had the exact opposite experience. Long walks to the beach with a Zeagle Escape were killing my lower back, because of the lack of structure. For me the BP is almost orthopedic by comparison. The difference, for me, is like the difference between a ruck sack and a back pack with a frame. I can't imagine a BP interfering with any tank holder I've ever seen.

I agree with you the backplate may be more comfortable for carrying the gear on your back. The problems with the plate start when it's off your back. And as I've said I've had the plate interfere with tank holders often on boats. Even my Zeagle Escape with two tank bands does not fit right into some tank holders. But the problem with the backplate is worse, because not only the bottom band but also the plate can interfere with the holder.

I used a backplate for a few years -- both aluminum and steel. I traveled with the aluminum plate and the Pioneer 36 wing, and I much prefer to travel with my soft Zeagle Escape.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom