Jacket BCD to BP/W transition experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wing balancing thing that Floater describes sounds complicated, but in practice, you wrinkle your brow for a moment the first time you notice the imbalance, you solve it, and it's an unconscious process from then on.

I dove with a deco bottle for the first time today, and was utterly unaware it was there once it was clipped on and I had my buoyancy adjusted. You just learn how.

I had never used a BP/W until yesterday. Through a neighbor I acquired a Halcyon SS backplate and Hog harness about a month ago. Because so many people I respect on here swear by them, I opted to spend some money and put the rest of it together to decide for myself if the BP/W was everything I read it to be. I worked a few extra days, purchased a new Diverite Rec Wing and single tank adaptor, and spent a bunch of time online researching to get the system set right. I think it is pretty close.

Yesterday I dove my new BP/W for the first time while spearing about 20 miles off Fort Myers Beach near the 240 ledges. As an experiment I decided to really try to immitate as much as possible what the BP/W crew use, at least with the gear I have at my disposal and training, so I left my usual BC, a Scubapro Knighthawk (which I really like), at home so I would be forced to use the BP/W all three dives. I used my steel 119s, so obviously I didnt need and additional weight outside of the plate when using a 5 mil and hooded vest. In addition, I clipped my guages on my left waist d-ring. I thought about breaking down the console and putting the computer on my wrist and just using the SPG on the waist, but I just cannot bare to think about sticking the 'puter into a hole to fight with a fish. I put the alternate on my right shoulder. I have never done the bungee and long hose thing, so not until/if I start drilling it in a more confined setting. My stringer went on a right waist d-ring I added while a small light hung on my left left shoulder. I also had a large SMB behind webbing on the plate since we were drift diving. I know this is hardly up to code, but maybe a bit in the neighborhood???

My findings??? It was fine. Did it make me swoon and smile from ear to ear? No. Did I hate it and curse all you who profess it is the only way to dive? Absolutely not. It was just fine.

Likes- The simple webbing was pretty cool as it was very out of the way. I also like being able to move the rings an inch or so here or there. At the surface waiting for the boat to show up the crotch strap is very cool.

Dislikes- The Diverite camstraps kind of sucked on a crowded boat. I really like Scubapro's system better. I couldnt figure out a way to stick a "just in case" lobster bag out of the way. I usually stick one behind a weight pocket*on my Knighthawk since I only need 2-4 pounds of weight and use the trim pockets for that. I guess I could go behind my back, but the SMB is there. We did run into a bunch of dozers yesterday, so luckily my buddy had a bag. I'll figure out something.

No change- Correct position in the water. It is easy to stay trim in both kits. Both are comfortable. I didnt feel like I was working harder or easier in the BP/W. Neither kit shifts around and both vent air just as easy as the other.

I am going to keep playing with the BP/W as I start the TDI Adv. Nitrox and Deco Procedures class next week. After that I am not really sure. I guess the biggest advantage I see with it is if there are doubles in my future I at least have an option. When I am teaching I will stay with the Knighthawk as all our students use one form of Scubapro BC or another, and I love my SP BC a ton. The BP/W I have is also a great piece of gear- but it should be as, like the SP BC, it costs a ton. Like I said, SO FAR I see the BP/W as fine, but really I guess it is more or less a push (as in playing blackjack).

OK- go ahead and flame away :D

Wait a minute. I did get the biggest gag, snapper, and hogfish of the day....hmmmmmmmmm....

Now, go ahead and flame away.

My transition was pretty straight forward. I don't need doubles, so I
m missing that complexity. I bought a BP/W, took it diving, liked it. The transition involved getting used to D rings being located in different places than on my old BC & not having pockets for small stuff.

matts1w:
I thought about breaking down the console and putting the computer on my wrist and just using the SPG on the waist, but I just cannot bare to think about sticking the 'puter into a hole to fight with a fish...
FWIW, I don't have a computer - I use a Uwatec bottom timer - but when I'm taking a lobster bag down with me I simply position the bottom timer high on my forearm, up by my elbow.

In certain respects its a moot issue as I have drygloves and the rings prevent me from going too deep into narrow holes anyway, but I suspect this would work for you also. Just run your computer further up your arm....gives you the ability to reach into holes for fish, etc. (The set up is reasonably flexible, but even the most ardent enthusiast would admit that it was not designed to be optimal for underwater hunting...)

I put my bag on my sling bottle with bungee. If you don't have a sling bottle you can also bungee it to the bottom of your plate...

Best,

Doc

My transition to BP/W was pretty straight forward. I went from a Jacket BCD to a Dive Rite SS BP with a wing... No STA - just cam bands - strapped a tank on and went diving. The only reason I switched was because my jacket BCD needed major repairs. I needed something new, and went for a BP/W - I didn't find it any more difficult or challenging. It is what it is.

Hi,

I recently went through a similar transition from a "Soft Pack" to Back Plate.

Some basic notes of the transition below.

I had a Pro QD which I recenty sold of, and still have a Black Diamond which I had set up for Twins.

I transitioned to Oxycheq only in the last few weeks.

I am not a GUE DIR convert in the full sense, however, I am applying much of the DIR principles along with the Hogarthian simplistic approach.

I have much more control with the Oxycheq. My Horizontal Control is natural where with the Softpacks I had to work for it.

Twin Tanks provide nice distributed weight with less role effect (same for soft and BP rigs), Not to forget the all important redundancy that arises from having two tanks.

No doubt there is more cost with Twins, Double the Regs, cost of bands yada yada. This is irrelevant of the BP or BC jacket.

The BP, wing and harness is in fact cheaper than most soft packs, particuarly Sea Quest's higher range such as the QD and Black Diamond.

The BP style setups provide a ridgid mounting solution that is more economical than a soft pack, and with a configuration ideology that minimises possible points of failure.

Regards.

I dived a jacket style bc for a number of years. I took the time to improve my scuba skills and I worked my way up to DM. I then bought a Dive Rite Transpac and loved the wing / harness set up for single tanks. I still use it for tropical easy going diving...I barely used any weights. Now, I dive doubles with a custom BP / Dive Rite Classic Wing and harness (yes, with a crotch strap). A crotch strap can do wonders with just a basic BC...keeps it from riding up you back etc. You NEED a crotch strap when diving doubles or a heavy steel tank...no need to have a maniold hit you in the head after your giant stride.

The 'transition' was easy and rather enlightening as I shed off an annoying jacket style bc. A BP/Wing set up is so much more comfortable and easier to deal with. My diving is now more technically oriented and the inevitable use of doubles, stage bottles and deco gas require the BP/W set up.

Just my experience.

Hey guys,
I'm just about to finish up my DM training and am looking into some local tech/wreck diving (think East Coast). I have about 400 dives under my belt in warm water, and about 20 in our cold water. In the caribean/warm water, I'm going to stick to my Seaquest Balance I have now, but was wondering what a good BP/W setup would be for diving up here. I'm not going to be jumping into tech for a bit, as I feel I need to get some more cold water and drysuit experience first. As I work my experience level up, what would be a good set up? I see a lot of Dive Rite mentioned here, what models should I be looking at specifically for cold water, mostly single tank dives? (I will work my way up to doubles, but I want to do one thing at a time). Thanks for your help.
Alex

Back
Top Bottom