IWS Question??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbteel

Reaction score
As a newly certified diver and one that has recently practiced gear removal and replacement...I have a question regarding the utility of an integrated weight system and the doffing/donning of ones BC while submerged. It seems to me that this skill would be considerably more difficult if not dangerous with an IWS BC setup as opposed to a conventional weight belt. Not withstanding the possibility of accidental ditching of the weights from the jacket...the obvious concern that I see is becoming immediately positively bouyant and the possibility of an uncontrolled ascent if one inadvertantly lets go of the IWS rig(Obvious answer:don't let go).

I guess this begs other questions such as if your diving with a buddy - for what practical reasons would you remove your BC?? Maybe I am making something from nothing but as a relative newbie I would appreciate any insights from those more experienced.

Thanks

I dive an intergrated BC and have practiced removing it at depth several times without incident. You nailed it when you said don't let go, cause you do become positive when you remove it, especially if you're wearing a wetsuit. However in a real life situation, where presumably at depth, the wetsuit would be compressed and not as bouyant, so it's still doable. It does require practice in a pool though. My OW instructor required us to do this skill at depth on one of our checkout dives, we all had weight intergration. I've since learned that maybe this was poor judgement on his part, but he was right there and firmly planted to the ocean's floor in case of trouble.

Where you use it in the real world would be if you became entangled so that you couldn't free yourself otherwise, assumming your buddy couldn't either. Or you were trying to fit through a tight hole that required removing it first. I'm sure there are others, but the likely hood seems remote to me. Oh yeah, one more, if you need to perform the Warhammer Manuver and was wearing a wetsuit. :)

The warhammer manuever was bad enough, but the mechanism to get there is even worse!!!!

Hi

Whats the Warhammer manouver? Is this something that we should all learn?

Hocky

won't you demonstrate this maneuver for us?

While I won't demonstrate it for you, as suggested, I will point you to a picture of some unknown person performing it. And NO, that's not me, contrary to what some may tell you.

Just one more thing, please don't have anything in your mouth when you first look at the picture or else your monitor might just be wearing it. You've been warned.

Warhammer Manuver

I have the monitor towel concession.

Monitor towels, monitor towels, get your clean monitor towels towels right here, only $2.00 ea or 3 for $5.00. Monitor towels.

ID

Never mind a towel.. you don't happen to have a wet/dry vac available? Case

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom