I've seen no medical confirmation of this but I think it works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
You raise good points and ones that a diver should consider. I had my annual a few weeks ago and my platlettes were normal. My doc says taking 81 mg aspirin a day is a good thing. He does it too, so does my wife's doc, which is good enough for me.
Heck then, go and enjoy your chewables.
Just remember to save the red ones for last!

BTW, http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2003/503_aspirin.html

TSandM:
A diver taking aspirin would be somewhat less likely to have an underwater heart attack or stroke, but more likely to bleed heavily from a shark bite :)

Yes, but the shark bite would be a teeny bit less painful.

Scubakevdm:
Yes, but the shark bite would be a teeny bit less painful.
On this dive you didn't need to worry about sharks, but some post-dive antibiotics might have been nice.

I was too slow to get a shot of you running up forward and casting off the bow line with all gear on except fins. :wink:

pilot fish:
I have seen no studies that say it is harmful for the diver.
You have also seen no studies that say it is good for the diver. You are taking a drug based on opinions you've read on the internet to prevent a perceived potential problem that is safely and easily prevented by non pharmaceutical means. :sarcasm:

Snowbear:
You have also seen no studies that say it is good for the diver. You are taking a drug based on opinions you've read on the internet to prevent a perceived potential problem that is safely and easily prevented by non pharmaceutical means. :sarcasm:

Let me remind you, 81mg aspirin is called BABY ASPIRIN. Since this is the dose we give babies, I'm not too worried about it.

As you know, we can still get DCS even with safe profiles. Anything that could possibly help is worth a try, especially since no dive agency has a contraindication for low dose baby aspirin.

getwet2:
Heck then, go and enjoy your chewables.
Just remember to save the red ones for last!

BTW, http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2003/503_aspirin.html

Good link. Thanks for providing it. While it does not provide any insight into aspirin vis a vis diving, it is a good bit of info for people to read in order to make up their minds. Keep in mind, doubt I mentioned this, it is extremely unnecessary for a 20, 30 or 40 year old diver to take baby aspirin, but I DO think it has value for the older diver, 50, 60 or 70 years old.

pilot fish:
...it is extremely unnecessary for a 20, 30 or 40 year old diver to take baby aspirin...
Of course it's unnecessary. That's what I've been saying all along :rolleyes:

If you meant, "Of little benefit," then says who? I have personally seen more than one 30 something year old experience a severe myocardial infarction (bad heart attack) from an ocluded coronary artery and many folks in their 40's who have as well... would you tell them (divers or not) it would have been of little benefit to take an anticoagulant?

PF - if you're taking it for medical reasons, fine, but taking ASA (and advising others to do so) to prevent the effects of DCS has no proven efficacy.

pilot fish:
As you know, we can still get DCS even with safe profiles.
Yes, I know. Again - that's not what I said, that's not what I meant and that's not what I believe.

Snowbear:
Of course it's unnecessary. That's what I've been saying all along :rolleyes:

If you meant, "Of little benefit," then says who? I have personally seen more than one 30 something year old experience a severe myocardial infarction (bad heart attack) from an ocluded coronary artery and many folks in their 40's who have as well... would you tell them (divers or not) it would have been of little benefit to take an anticoagulant?

PF - if you're taking it for medical reasons, fine, but taking ASA (and advising others to do so) to prevent the effects of DCS has no proven efficacy.

Yes, I know. Again - that's not what I said, that's not what I meant and that's not what I believe.

I meant the older diver not someone in their 20s, 30s, or 40s. I should have made that clear/clearer.

While it might be considered unnecessary by some for a person to take a baby aspirin as part a cautionary program, there is an equal amount that advise it for the older person. As an aid for diver, as I've said, and the purpose I started this thread, I have seen no hard facts for, or against it. But just looking at what a low dose aspirin does makes me think it might work for lessening the possibility of getting DCS. At no time did I advise anyone to do the same as I do. My feelings on the efficacy of baby aspirin is my opinion, as yours are just your opinion, since there is NO body of fact concerning diving and baby aspirin.

pilot fish:
Let me remind you, 81mg aspirin is called BABY ASPIRIN. Since this is the dose we give babies, I'm not too worried about it.

As you know, we can still get DCS even with safe profiles. Anything that could possibly help is worth a try, especially since no dive agency has a contraindication for low dose baby aspirin.

You've just highlighted a bit of a knowledge deficit there...

Aspirin is contraindicated in children. It is often erroneously referred to as "baby" aspirin, and it used to be given to children, until we realised that it was linked to Reye's Syndrome, a potentially fatal condition.

British National Formulary - http://BNF.org:
REYE'S SYNDROME. Owing to an association with Reye's syndrome, the CSM has advised that aspirin-containing preparations should not be given to children and adolescents under 16 years, unless specifically indicated, e.g. for Kawasaki syndrome.

Even low dose aspirin (we use 75mg in the UK) can cause gastric ulceration, which can in turn cause, pain, bleeding, perforation and death. As Snowbear said, no drug is without risk of side effects.

Dom

EDIT - Just found this after a bit of digging:

From Walker R (2002) Decompression Sickness: Treatment IN Edmonds C, Lowry C, Pennefather J & Walker R eds(2002) Diving and Subaquatic Medicine 4e London: Hodder Arnold

There is evidence that anti-platelet drugs such as aspirin or dipyridamole, when given prophylactically, modify platelet action following decompression, though there are no controlled studies to support its use in the treatment of DCS. There are more arguments against the use of aspirin than for it, with increased likelihood of aggravating inner ear or spinal cord haemorrhagic pathology. Aspirin has a variet of other negative effects on susceptible individuals (such as bronchospasm), and there are reports in animal studies linking aspirin with an increased risk of dysbaric osteonecrosis

Back
Top Bottom