I've seen no medical confirmation of this but I think it works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, also abbreviated as ASA) affects the platelets in the blood, reducing their tendency to clump together and form clots. For this reason, Aspirin therapy is recommended for prophylaxis against cardiovascular disease events. The dose that PilotFish has described is within the low dose prophylaxis range as described by the American Heart Association, American Diabetes Association and several other professional associations.

While aspirin is contraindicated in certain people, most notably those with aspirin allergy, peptic ulcer disease, bleeding disorders and children with flu-like symptoms, it is a very effective tool for reducing cardiovascular risk.

A quick search of DAN did not yield any prohibitions against aspirin use, so I would suggest staying with your current regimen. For the record, as a male in his 40's, I take one aspirin daily for cardiovascular prophylaxis. From the statistics I've seen, a cardiovascular event is the most likely life-threatening problem that I might encounter, so I'm taking precautions.

Here are a couple of links to more info on aspirin prophylaxis

Hope this helps,
Grier

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/179_03_040803/hun10816_fm.html
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3018804
http://health.howstuffworks.com/aspirin1.htm

A quick search of DAN did not yield any prohibitions against aspirin use, so I would suggest staying with your current regimen.

I'm not sure Aspirin does help very much in case of
:D pneumothorax :D
or
:D hemorragic event :D

But surely we can get more complications!

(LOL)

regards

François

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't it true that blood clots around the nitrogen bubbles that form in a serious case of DCS? If so, aspirin might ameliorate this condition.

Art

ArthurGerla:

Isn't it true that blood clots around the nitrogen bubbles that form in a serious case of DCS? If so, aspirin might ameliorate this condition.

Art

That was my thinking, that it would lessen the probability slightly, which is a good thing, as Martha would say.

ArthurGerla:

Art

Hello,

I'm sorry. I'm not a diving physician.
I'm not aware of the usefulness of Aspirin in the treatment and prophylaxis of DCS.
Could you give us some scientic reference about that, pls.
Thanks in advance

regards

François

perche:
Is there any proof about that?

regards

That is what I'm trying to confirm, which is why I started this thread. I use it, 81 mg, because I figure since it stops platlettes from clumping and thins the blood slightly, it might be good in lessening DCS a bit.

Is there any proof about that?
Well, about the clotting a quick google yields this:
The body creates clots around the bubbles
To put it simply, the body cannot tell the difference between a normal open wound and a bubble. When the former exists, complex cellular mechanisms are activated in order to stop bleeding. Many of these same mechanisms are activated in the presence of bubble formation in the vasculature. Over the ensuing minutes and hours, fibrin strands (insoluble, elastic protein) and platelets (cells involved in clotting) clump together around the bubbles, compounding gaseous blockages with cellular clots and debris.
When a diver is recompressed at this late stage, Boyle's Law is only partially effective. The recompression chamber will reduce or eliminate gas bubbles, but is unable to resolve the solid clots that remain.
(source)

Lots of other plausible sources there, too.

Moving on to the question "Does aspirin help?", IANTD mentions:
Many technical divers take aspirin to help decrease the probability of platelets adhering to capillary walls and reduce the probability of blood clotting.
but this scientific tidbit.
Aspirin is not used as prophylaxis, nor treatment, for DCS
and this one:
Some physicians also recommend corticosteroids in DCS to decrease inflammation, but their use is largely anecdotal and efficacy is unproven (Catron 1982). Various other drugs, such as heparin, diazepam, aspirin, and vasodilators, have been studied or used in this condition (Catron 1982); none can be routinely recommended as effective. Except for oxygen, which can be considered a drug, no particular drug is helpful for DCS.
have put me off trying this one out. Just put me on O2 and rush me to a recompression facility if the need arises.

Art

"Many technical divers take aspirin to help decrease the probability of platelets adhering to capillary walls and reduce the probability of blood clotting. " Arthurs's link

which is why I take it.

I'm not sure I would want it after I had DCS, I want O2 then, but it seems to lessen the chances a wee bit that you might get it. I think, anyway.

I find the suggestion attractive and plausible, too. But the problem here is, any real evidence regarding the beneficial effect of aspirin on DCS will have to remain anecdotal as it's difficult to set up a proper scientific, double blind, etc trial. Setting it up ethically, anyway :14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom