I've seen no medical confirmation of this but I think it works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArthurGerla:
This very same subject has by coincidence also popped up here in the Dr Deco forum.

"Since platelets and the like are not located outside of the circulatory system, anticoagulation agents would not have any effect on the “bends.” Were one to get an excessive gas bubble load from a missed decompression, such as that described in “The Last Dive,” this would be different. Aspirin is not the answer, of course to omitted decompression and the dose given might not be sufficient in any case. "Dr Deco from Arthur's link

Very good link, Arthur. Thanks. After reading the great posts and links provided by some, yours and a few other divers, that provided more than rollng eyes, I'm leaning towards thinking it might not be such a great idea. I've read the link you provided but I still don't see an outright condemnation of aspirin.

Since platletes form in the circulatory system [ isn't that where bubbles form?]it would have no effect on the formation of micro-bubbles? Am I reading that correctly?

There is evidence that anti-platelet drugs such as aspirin or dipyridamole, when given prophylactically, modify platelet action following decompression, though there are no controlled studies to support its use in the treatment of DCS. There are more arguments against the use of aspirin than for it, with increased likelihood of aggravating inner ear or spinal cord haemorrhagic pathology. Aspirin has a variet of other negative effects on susceptible individuals (such as bronchospasm), and there are reports in animal studies linking aspirin with an increased risk of dysbaric osteonecrosis]]dlegros

Good find. The broncospasm is interesting. I'd like to know more about that. I'll have to look up dysbaric ostenecrosis.

I might be a bit off topic here.

I take low dose coumadin for a long history of Deep Vein Thrombosis (blod clots) that resulted from significant knee surgery many years ago. I also have my blood checked regularly and the dose is monitored. When I looked at starting diving I asked my doctors about whether this could be problematic. The response was really one of risk management.

Firstly, none of the doctors talked about DCS. They all spoke about barotrauma and the risk of anticoagulants.

Secondly, none of them said "don't dive," they all walked around that by saying it was up to me. So, I try to dive safely, stay within NDL, and have no plans on going the tech route.

Having said that, here is a link to the use of anticoagulants and diving http://www.scuba-doc.com/antcoag.htm

BTW, I have been diving since Aug 2001 without any problem.

ArthurGerla:
I find the suggestion attractive and plausible, too. But the problem here is, any real evidence regarding the beneficial effect of aspirin on DCS will have to remain anecdotal as it's difficult to set up a proper scientific, double blind, etc trial. Setting it up ethically, anyway :14:

Setting up an ethical, well-designed clinical trial is pretty easy. Getting somebody to pay for it and then getting subjects to volunteer is the hard part!

tedtim:
I might be a bit off topic here.

I take low dose coumadin for a long history of Deep Vein Thrombosis (blod clots) that resulted from significant knee surgery many years ago. I also have my blood checked regularly and the dose is monitored. When I looked at starting diving I asked my doctors about whether this could be problematic. The response was really one of risk management.

Firstly, none of the doctors talked about DCS. They all spoke about barotrauma and the risk of anticoagulants.

Secondly, none of them said "don't dive," they all walked around that by saying it was up to me. So, I try to dive safely, stay within NDL, and have no plans on going the tech route.

Having said that, here is a link to the use of anticoagulants and diving http://www.scuba-doc.com/antcoag.htm

BTW, I have been diving since Aug 2001 without any problem.

Great links. That was very informative. While coumadin and heprin blood thinners pose a significant consideration for thr diver, I don't see baby aspirin as being in the same classification because of it's much milder effect. Did I read [can't find it ] in someone's link something about bronchial spasms and aspirin?

I hope you continue to dive problem free for many decades to come

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom