I've seen no medical confirmation of this but I think it works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArthurGerla:
I find the suggestion attractive and plausible, too. But the problem here is, any real evidence regarding the beneficial effect of aspirin on DCS will have to remain anecdotal as it's difficult to set up a proper scientific, double blind, etc trial. Setting it up ethically, anyway :14:

I think you might have misunderstood, just a tad, about what I'm saying, and asking. I'm not saying aspirin after the fact, but as a preventative, before, when you are diving, to lessen the effects of POSSIBLE DCS. I think it MIGHT help stop platlettes from clumping, trappping N2 bubbles.

It seems that it will not harm you in any way, at that low dosage, but I'm not certain it will help to lessen DCS by thinking the blood.

It seems to me that it will help so I will continue to take it till I see proof that it has a bad effect on divers. I'm impressed that tech divers use aspirin.

pilot fish:
"Many technical divers take aspirin to help decrease the probability of platelets adhering to capillary walls and reduce the probability of blood clotting. " Arthurs's link

which is why I take it.

I'm not sure I would want it after I had DCS, I want O2 then, but it seems to lessen the chances a wee bit that you might get it. I think, anyway.
I sure hope you're not telling us you are now a technical diver :11:

From all the stuff posted, the ASA is not taken to reduce the possibility of getting DCS, but to lessen the damage if one does get it.... so I read this as a bunch of divers take ASA 'cause they think they are going to get DCS.

Personally, I would rather dive my dives to minimize the risk, not take a drug that is unproven in many studies to actually help :rolleyes:

Snowbear:
I sure hope you're not telling us you are now a technical diver :11:

From all the stuff posted, the ASA is not taken to reduce the possibility of getting DCS, but to lessen the damage if one does get it.... so I read this as a bunch of divers take ASA 'cause they think they are going to get DCS.

Personally, I would rather dive my dives to minimize the risk, not take a drug that is unproven in many studies to actually help :rolleyes:

Of course not, I'm still a recreational diver. No plans to ever go tech. My point was, if tech divers take it, who would know more about diving than we rec divers, that was good enough for me.

Yes, dive within the tables is the best prevention of all but as we age we want to be sure blood flow is at optimum.

pilot fish:
My point was, if tech divers take it, who would know more about diving than we rec divers, that was good enough for me.
You have a lot of faith in folks who probably take the stuff for the same reason you apparently do.... 'cause it *might* diminish the effects (despite studies to the contrary) of a problem they hope they won't have.
pilot fish:
Yes, dive within the tables is the best prevention...
That's not what I said and that's not what I meant and that's not what I believe (in and of itself).
pilot fish:
... but as we age we want to be sure blood flow is at optimum.
Well, if you have a clotting problem then you should be taking medication to control it. If you're having other blood flow problems, you may want to consult with your PMD about how to deal with those.

Self-medication may not help, may not harm. Taking ANY drug ALWAYS carries a risk of side effects. Obviously, those must be weighed against the actual or potential benefits, but if there is no benefit, why take it? Oh, yeah... 'cause some tech diver said so :rolleyes:

You have a lot of faith in folks who probably take the stuff for the same reason you apparently do.... 'cause it *might* diminish the effects (despite studies to the contrary) of a problem they hope they won't have]]]snowbear

What studies, Snow?

Self-medication may not help, may not harm. Taking ANY drug ALWAYS carries a risk of side effects. Obviously, those must be weighed against the actual or potential benefits, but if there is no benefit, why take it? Oh, yeah... 'cause some tech diver said so ]]]snowbear

No, not exactly. I take an 81 mg aspirin daily because that is what the medical community says is a very good idea [ recommendation was not for diving]. They don't say take it because you will have a stroke or coronary, but if you do, it will lessen it a bit and might even prevent it in the first place. I'm not saying you should take it, or that other divers should take it. I'm saying I take it as a preventative measure.

pilot fish:
No, not exactly. I take an 81 mg aspirin daily because that is what the medical community says is a very good idea....
Yes. Exactly... at least that's what you said earlier.
pilot fish:
I use it, 81 mg, because I figure since it stops platlettes from clumping and thins the blood slightly, it might be good in lessening DCS a bit.
pilot fish:
It seems to me that it will help so I will continue to take it till I see proof that it has a bad effect on divers. I'm impressed that tech divers use aspirin.
Huh - missed this one before - so to clarify -you'll take ASA as an anti-DCS prophylactic, though there is no proof it works, yet you won't stop taking it until there's proof it's bad? Backwards thinking in my book.
pilot fish:
My point was, if tech divers take it... that was good enough for me.
pilot fish:
I'm not saying aspirin after the fact, but as a preventative, before, when you are diving, to lessen the effects of POSSIBLE DCS.

I've heard that 1 or 2 beers a day is good for you as well as a glass of wine and a shot of brandy. Just in case, I usually take all three just before I go for a dive.

Back
Top Bottom