It should not be this hard to find insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking with a couple different reps at DiveAssure I was informed that once a doctor determines the needed care then DiveAssure will authorize payment to the facility.
DAN and DiveAssure are both underwritten by the same company (AIG I believe) so will have many similar practices.

I prefer the primary care option of DiveAssure and since it is specialized coverage (diving and travelling diving) then I know they won't come back to me and say "sorry you participate in a dangerous activity and under clause 5.5.1.32.3.3.41.5.7.8 we do not cover such activities"... So as far as diving is concerend I have two primary insurance companies...i hope between the both of them I not only won't have to worry about getting the care I need, but won't even have a co-pay which in and of itself can get very expensive.

I am an instructor and live and work in a developing country...
My insurance carrier...Travel Insurance | Protection and assistance by Seven Corners, Inc., they cover all nationalities, even provide limited coverage if I return to the USA for a short period of time.
I am 45, no depth limit, coverage for all sickness or injury...dive related or not...even motorcycle accidents, a daily occurrence here...
With $600,000 coverage, they advance payment to hospital or chamber, $250 deductible..costs me $85 per month. You can buy it by the day, I think 5 day minimum...they offer a variety of plans, and deductibles. $150 a day while in patient just for fun money. They fly relatives over if you need help..
THIS IS COMPREHENSIVE HEALTH AND ACCIDENT INSURANCE, they have medevaced me to Thailand NO MONEY OUT OF MY POCKET. You can get trip coverage also....but I live here so do not need it.They paid for hotel while I was out patient, taxi to hospital, for therapy and back to hotel, THEN THEY PAID MY TICKET BACK TO VIETNAM ! (But not a new visa...boo hoo !!!!)
The only draw back to this policy is if you get a chronic condition, the policy is limited to two years. .
If you are in your twenties it will cost about $30 per month. You are stark nuts to consider anything else. DAN and dive assure DO NOT MEASURE UP ! Especially if you are only going on a week diving trip 2X per year.
I am currently working with them to develop a product you can buy for a day or the length of time you will be diving , as my shop is a $5,000 helicopter ride to the nearest chamber.
I also have personal sickness and accident insurance that pays me $250 a day as inpatient, with a minimum pay out of ten days...and one day as out patient for each day inpatient... One hospitalization of fifteen days, because i had a day in intensive care paid me more then $15,000....That was in my pocket, after seven corners paid for the medical issues !!!!
$15,000 is more then two years pay as an instructor here !
There is a better way !

Well said on the comment about the diver with only 24 dives diving solo.If I was dan I sure wouldnt insure some one diving freaking solo after 24 dives.dan is the best thing there is and I would say dont dive if you dont have dan or even diveassure,but thats just my opinion,Im just a young diving instructor,safe diving everyone.cecilmark

dude.I think you are being a bit harsh.I've used dan before for an injured diver and they were prompt,they also did not tell me to call dive assure first.I think you should re-check your info,and what the hell are you doing diving solo after only 24 dives,Ive done 110 dives and an instructor and still will not dive solo.

wow 24 dives and solo.....I do not want him on my boat !!! I was at the 1000 mark before first REAL solo dive ( not setting anchor or something) , and 4,000 before solo deco...I know off topic but that is crackers....please reconsider what you are doing !!!!
Oh BTW...my custom policy is all most in place, diver shows up at shop uninsured...there is the computer...there is the link....20-29 years old, $250 deductible, $100,0000 in coverage... $.85 a day..... contract in place for prepaid helo evac...
We have an incident, call evac company, they call insurer, verify coverage and helo is on the way....
Takes an hour or more to wire money to Vietnam, and banks hold it for ten days (interest)...Dan, dive assure..useless and you are dead...Seven corners shop policy.....here comes the helo....

It's been a long time since I created this thread, and I'm back and nothing has changed.
It's still confusing as ever.
PLEASE! Unless you have personal experience with DAN or Dive Assure, don't post! You only make it more confusing!

This is a very important topic. We only want FACTS not opinions!

By the way, I ended up getting Dive Assure for the trip to Vietnam. Fortunately, I didn't have to use it so I have no idea how good or bad Dive Assure is.

But I do have personal experience with DAN though. My buddy got the bends twice and DAN came through both times. Of course, it was only in San Diego not Mexico or Vietnam.

It's been a long time since I created this thread, and I'm back and nothing has changed.
It's still confusing as ever.
PLEASE! Unless you have personal experience with DAN or Dive Assure, don't post! You only make it more confusing!

This is a very important topic. We only want FACTS not opinions!

By the way, I ended up getting Dive Assure for the trip to Vietnam. Fortunately, I didn't have to use it so I have no idea how good or bad Dive Assure is.

But I do have personal experience with DAN though. My buddy got the bends twice and DAN came through both times. Of course, it was only in San Diego not Mexico or Vietnam.
Glad you got dive insurance and had a good trip, but your original post is just wrong...
Both DAN and DiveAssure are getting on my nerves.
Both indicated that the dying diver needs to call DAN or DiveAssure first!

How the freaking way am I going to call if I have the dcs? If I'm by myself on a trip, I don't have a friend or family member to call for me.

Dan and DiveAssure, YOU SUCK!
No, neither say to call them first for treatment. They both say to activate EMS first when indicate. You do need to contact them for the TravelAssist benefit to be arranged, but for initial treatment - nope.
Get the medical help you may need, first & foremost;

Consult with DAN hotline or ask your attending physician to do so, and membership is not even required for that. Dive Assure may have a similar deal, I don't know, but you don't have to call them at all if you don't want to - unless you need emergency transport.

Then pay the bill and file the claim, or let the clinic/chamber do that.​
So maybe you'd like to explain your problem better...?

Back
Top Bottom