It should not be this hard to find insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

westladog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Both DAN and DiveAssure are getting on my nerves.
Both indicated that the dying diver needs to call DAN or DiveAssure first!

How the freaking way am I going to call if I have the dcs? If I'm by myself on a trip, I don't have a friend or family member to call for me.

Dan and DiveAssure, YOU SUCK!

Edit: DAN is more than just injury compensation - you can have their experts talk to the Dr. treating the DCS. In this case, they'll need to know that they need to get in touch.

Dan is invaluable. I don't think I will ever need them but I will not make a dive without them. I have never heard nothing but good about them. I heard from a couple who where in a remote area and a non diver got hurt and the locals couldn't figure out how to get a medi-vac. One call to DAN and they took care of everything. Dan is not some insurance company try to make money by denying claims. They are part of Duke university.Their main goal is research to help improve dive medicine. If you think DAN SUCKS this might not be the sport for you. Maybe you should try skydiving instead.

How the freaking way am I going to call if I have the dcs? If I'm by myself on a trip, I don't have a friend or family member to call for me.

Well, if YOU or your representative don't call them, how do you expect them to know you are injured?

Phil Ellis

How the freaking way am I going to call if I have the DCS? If I'm by myself on a trip, I don't have a friend or family member to call for me.

I don't believe you statement is correct. At least not the part that says you have to call them first. In life-threatening situations EMS should be the first one called. IN this case DAN would be the second call. You do not have to make the call anyone can make the call to DAN.

As someone else mentioned I wear the DAN tag on my BC which has not only my DAN membership ID but also my emergency contact information.

Also, one would think that with less than 24 dives you would not be diving solo.

DAN was invaluable when a dive buddy I was with got "hit" in Bonaire. We called DAN on the way to the hospital, and DAN was able to talk to the dr. before we even arrived; therefore they were ready and waiting for us. I would never dive without having DAN. Hopefully I'll never have to use it, but it's nice to know they're there for me if I need them.

After reading the fine print between DAN and DiveAssure, I'm going with DiveAssure. They offer a lot more for roughly the same price. Plus, it's also a "primary" insurance where as DAN is secondary.

DiveAssure will make arrangement to pay the provider if they require payment up front. DAN will not do that and you would need to get the reimbursement after the incident.

I think DiveAssure is about $15 more than DAN.

When I got to the Dr Office for a simple cough or something and I walk in the lobby and there are 25 people there and I know a bunch doesnt have insurance and this is easy to observe because of people filling out paperwork and then I flip my Insurance card up and my Copay and almost every time I am called prior and then gone before they are seen! NOW... first question is WHY? and the answer is simple, mine is probably gonna pay that month and there are no IFs or Problems to encounter. Dude I pay 500 bucks a month for that crap.

I guess what I mean is if you ever need it and dont have it you will be sitting around filling out paperwork and trying your best to describe to some College grad how the hell you poped up from 130 feet in 2 minutes and need some freaking help....seems my breath is short Im frothing and have a lot of pain in my joints! Do you believe he knows whats up? or how serious?

Its a hundred bucks just do it man!

#1 rule is always Never Dive Alone.
#2 rule is make sure your partner is familiar with you and incase of emergency where is the Aid at!

Im very new to diving but that is my view of having it or not. Will it cover priopism? Dunno but if your headed to the chamber it would have to assist positively!

Steve

I called my company's medical insurance and they told me that there is no amount limit or exclusions for my trip to Vietnam and the scuba diving activities. They said that if there is a medical emergency, just pay and they will reimburse. Just make sure I get an itemized report of the services from the doctor(s).
I'm like how the heck am I going to pay for something costing over $5k?

DAN is a secondary insruance so how would dan pay for somethign like this?

I like Dive Assure because they are "primary" but I have no information about them.

Back
Top Bottom