it keeps fogging..and fogging......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a diver (customer) that needed some defog on a trip last summer. I stated that there was a a bottle of PSI 500 on the floor in an unmarked bottle. I found out after the dives on the way back to the docks that he had accidently used some unmarked spray cleaner bottle that I use for the bilge on his mask as defogger. We both laughed when he stated that it was the best defogger he ever used. It was human an enviromentally friendly so we didnt worry about any bad side effects. Speaking of side effects. ever read the label on some of those defoggers endorsed by Rodales Dive Mag? Caution: Eye irritant. Flush with clean water for 15 mins. Hmmm..

Cliff

Plan your dive and dive your plan.

YES! YES! YES! Finally someone with the same problem! I also have the X-Vision, and mine keeps fogging on the right side. I've tried all the tricks, Soft Scrub, toothpaste, defog---- to death. Spitting, licking, swearing, banging it on a rock!!! (Not really). Is there any posibilty that it could be the mask? I have all the people at the LDS and multiple master divers and instructors stumped. They watch me do what they tell me to, and yet no luck.

I had the same problem. I've had many other masks but the X-Visions have kept on fogging. They do stop after about 20 dives but then I have had the problem of hard water stains which do not come off. I've been changing the lenses every 75 dives or so. Might have to look at the new Atomics...

seacure... best stuff ever.. dip the mask, shack it as dry as you can, while listening to the dive ops rub it in,, it may dry and that's fine. One the way to exit the boat (or whatever) dip the mask and shack it as dry as possible and dive... never have a fog problem.. been using the same little bottle for 4 years now...

I have two X-Vision masks and have never had a fogging problem with either one. For the initial cleaning on both masks, I used Sea Buff. For regular cleaning, I use Sea Gold, a gel defog. Both are McNett products. Before they came out with Sea Buff, I had used toothpaste to remove the film on masks, which had worked fine. I assume you are putting the mask on immediately after cleaning it, so that it's not getting messed up again by coming into contact with your hair or anything.

I can vouch for Rain-X, but the Black bottle.

I have been using Rain-X for many years now, snorkling,
and I used it on both inside and out.

Even in the worst fog conditions, there is never
more than a haze on the lense, which does
not diminish visibility.

Apply 3 coats, 1, let dry, another over, let dry
then the last one, let dry.

Wipe off with a flanel rag. If it is too hard to wipe
off, use a mildly damp rag to wipe off
excess, then wipe dry.

Lasts for 4-5 dives.
Clean with mild dishwasher soap between dives.

MasterGoa

PS: JD: Where caould I get the McNett stuff to try?

I have an X-vision and I had huge problems with it fogging. I tried cleaning with toothpaste, other cleaners, spitting etc etc etc and it still fogged. My OW instructor did the following and it fixed it permanently. He took a typical cigarette lighter and started it up, then moved the end of the flame around the inside and outside surfaces of the lenses. When he did this he pointed out the layer of film of that was burning off the surface. After this, I had no more problems with fogging!

Back
Top Bottom