IST at Costco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammyman

Registered
Reaction score
I just went to costco and they had a bunch of scuba equipment. The regulators and BC's are a brand called IST. I think the regulator was like $130 or so. Are they good regulators? Anyone have experience with them? I was trying to figure out if they were good prices but I just couldn't tell.

Thanks

I was also surprised to find Costco selling scuba equipment this summer. It seemed to be one of those "traveling demonstration" deals where the manufacturer shows up with a temporary display and inventory, makes sales for a few weeks, and then disappears. This isn't to say they're fly-by-night, and I've definitely heard of IST before, but I thought they were more of an OEM supplier, and I'd probably want to check with your LDS to make sure you can get the stuff serviced locally.

IST has been around for awhile. Haven't dived them, but been told they make a decent basic reg. The price you cite is similar to what you can get them for on the internet, such as from divebooty. As Gombessa mentioned, another consideration besides price would be where/how you would get the reg serviced.

I've seen the traveling IST show hit Costco a few times (~February). They have your basic SCUBA/snorkel gear, plus some jackets for SI and luggage. I've bought a rashguard & mask from them and the stuff is good for the price. I believe Costco's return policy is applicable as well. My main concern though, as Gombessa stated is finding a LDS that will service their gear. I don't know of any in the Bay Area that does.

Edit: The person that does the show seems to be a SoCal diver..

I wouldn't by IST equipment. Their regs seem to be pretty ****ty.

Wow, i can just imagine the slew of rescues we will get to do, when all these costco members think they can go diving, without all those expensive classes, but i guess as long as they buy a cheap costco cruise, they will be out of my local dive sites, do they offer a cheaper dan insurance with the package?

Wow, i can just imagine the slew of rescues we will get to do, when all these costco members think they can go diving, without all those expensive classes, but i guess as long as they buy a cheap costco cruise, they will be out of my local dive sites, do they offer a cheaper dan insurance with the package?

I'd imagine you need to show proof of being a certified diver in order to purchase the gear, but I've never asked...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom