IST at Costco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The IST should be the same exact reg as the dive rite rg2500 w/ the 1208 1st stage. Oxycheq also seems to be re-branding this reg. It actually might even come with an environmental seal. I would think its a pretty good reg.

Just out of curiosity, what IST reg models is costco carrying? I might pick one up if the price is right.
I owned one, IST r-10 balanced piston reg, for about a year. It breathed like a champ. I used it in water from 42F to 75F without any issues. My only complaint was the 2nd stage exhaust tee was too close to the mouthpiece so my 'meaty' lower lip always rubbed on the top of the exhaust tee.
As far as service is concerned there were at least 2 places around where i live that serviced them. I don't think you'll have any problems getting service on IST regs in the U.S.. To find dealers go to:
IST Sports!!.
The only reason I sold it was because it was cheaper for me to sell it and buy a new low end reg (for my pony bottle) than have it serviced.

Just out of curiosity, what IST reg models is costco carrying? I might pick one up if the price is right.

What is the right price? I have some around the shop that might work for you... :wink:

I havent tested their regs, but I have a pair of fins thats got the IST stamp on them. My now bottomn-dwelling former mask was actually IST as well I think. Worked just as well as the one I found on another dive and decided to use as backup - now promoted to primary since I dont want to go to 50+ meters to pick up the IST :p

I'd imagine you need to show proof of being a certified diver in order to purchase the gear, but I've never asked...

I doubt it. People often buy gear without any certification --for example, some people buy gear before taking lessons on vacation. I'm pretty sure they will sell to anyone with cash or plastic.

Jeff

I'd imagine you need to show proof of being a certified diver in order to purchase the gear, but I've never asked...

I doubt it. People often buy gear without any certification --for example, some people buy gear before taking lessons on vacation. I'm pretty sure they will sell to anyone with cash or plastic.

Jeff
I'll bet that all you need is your COSTCO card.

It looks like they st IST made a pretty good copy of the ScubaPro Jet Fin a few years ago.

It looks like they still do:
P00000315.jpg

There is a similar post that I found.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...cussions/197427-need-info-ist-scuba-gear.html

On Costco's website they carry BARE, TUSA and some other snorkeling items. A US Divers knife. I didn't see any regs, however the regs are for sale at a local store.

www.istsports.com

However, if COSTCO is selling regulators to the masses. The liability the company has opened itself up to is massive. If some was to become injured or killed using scuba equipment purchased at a supermarket/warehouse without having proof of proper certification...show me the money! I would be interested in knowing the details of who made the decision to stock any type of scuba regs at Costco.

However, if COSTCO is selling regulators to the masses. The liability the company has opened itself up to is massive.

Are you an attorney? Is there any law that says you can only sell scuba gear to someone who is certified? I really don't know and that's why I ask. It would be impossible for me to believe that a company as big as Costco, with probably 100's of attorneys, would blindly just start selling something like scuba gear to the public if it was against some law. I am sure they are well aware of how everyone wants to sue everyone in this country and personal responsibility doesn't matter any more.

I would imagine the Costco executives are sleeping just fine at night.

Warehouse and discount stores sold SCUBA in the 1960's and 70's. A certification card was not required. Then, as now, the card was used to purchase compressed air. I don't recall any trouble coming from that concept.

Around here, SCUBA is often sold at low-rent locations. One is sandwiched between a family planning clinic and a thrift store. Another is like visiting the "Addams Family". Creepy.

SCUBA gear in a high volume location seems like a natural idea, but the volume of sales has to support it. The Gander Mountain store had SCUBA for a while, and got out.

Good luck to IST and Costco. Putting the sport in front of the public may generate some new interest, and that would help traditional dive shops, too.

Why? You don't have to show anything other than a credit card to buy anything you want via the Internet. Even LDSs sell just about everything except air without seeing a C card.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom