IST at Costco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the record, I bought a 3 mil shorty when this guy was in ATL 2 years ago. Later that summer the zipper pull failed. I initially bowed up for a fight but these guys were great on the return and the turn around was less than a week.

However, if COSTCO is selling regulators to the masses. The liability the company has opened itself up to is massive.

There isn't any more liability in selling a reg set than there is selling ammo. The liability is if a dive shop filled tanks for said individual and then they got hurt, different story.

Next thing you know they can't sell knives, power tools, etc. My concern would be quality. I don't want my life line to breathing being the cheapest part of my gear. :confused:

I would also hope that anyone shopping at Costco would know that it is only about "bang for the buck" on the stores end also. Not saying the rig is bad, just not my first choice. :wink:

There isn't any more liability in selling a reg set than there is selling ammo. The liability is if a dive shop filled tanks for said individual and then they got hurt, different story.
There's no real liability in pumping air either (save that involved in the quality of the air).

There's no real liability in pumping air either (save that involved in the quality of the air).

I might debate that with you because of the way the dive industry as a whole has traditionally withheld air fills from individuals as a norm. If in fact a individual were to get killed, I believe the grieving family's attorney would definitely load that "bullet".

I am no saying it would work, but it definitely wouldn't help. We all know that deviation from the "norm" is ammo when it suits the other party.

Then again, it has also been a ploy of the LDS to force divers into generating revenue in the shop by courses and potential gear sales by withholding air fills too......

2 sides to everything......

I didn't think IST was that cheap of gear?

The term "cheap" was a monetary comment, not necessarily a quality comment. At $125, your tank, bcd and computer will cost you more than that. Of the main primary items, it would be the cheapest, see? Not that more expensive is always better, but with a reg, it does tend to make a difference a little bit.

Since that is the part delivering to air supply for me, I would rather buy something a little nicer (if I could afford it) as maybe cut a couple of bucks off of the bcd that I buy. Do you see what I am saying?

It looks like they st IST made a pretty good copy of the ScubaPro Jet Fin a few years ago.

It looks like they still do:
P00000315.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good gosh Thalassamania!

I thought you were more astute in diving history

Guess who moulded the Scuba Pro Jet fins for all those good years?

Now guess who made a 10% design change and produced a fin that apears to be a very close cousin to the jet fin ?

Wow, i can just imagine the slew of rescues we will get to do, when all these costco members think they can go diving, without all those expensive classes, but i guess as long as they buy a cheap costco cruise, they will be out of my local dive sites, do they offer a cheaper dan insurance with the package?

Dude, you do not need a C card to buy a regulator. Anyone can go to a dive shop and buy gear which makes your point moot. Thanks for playing, Johnny has some lovely consolation prizes for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good gosh Thalassamania!

I thought you were more astute in diving history

Guess who moulded the Scuba Pro Jet fins for all those good years?

Now guess who made a 10% design change and produced a fin that apears to be a very close cousin to the jet fin ?

Are you thinking of IDI, the folks that originally made the Turtle fin who closed shop and whose assets were purchased by XS Scuba???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom