ISOSAD- International Semi-Organized ScubUNO Association of Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar:
"ScubUNO beats... connect four..." -TG
"ScubUNO requires SKILL! And skill is something that I have in very limited supply!" -erp

Coincidence? :D

That's IT ClayJar... you mock me! I shall exact revenge. You ever had an 80-foot long tractor trailer truck chasing you down? Here's what it looks like:

Don't mess with me. I know what your license plate says.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :light:

trucker girl:
Here's what it looks like:

Waitaminute! That was *YOU*?!?

(I knew Mom shouldn't have let me watch Duel as a kid...)

ClayJar:
Waitaminute! That was *YOU*?!?

(I knew Mom shouldn't have let me watch Duel as a kid...)

Ummm... never heard of it but looking at the link it must be right up there with Black Dog and that one about the psycho trucker out west...

Ever see the movie "Larger than Life" with Bill Murray about the elephant? There is a total trucker scene in there where Matthew McConaughey is the trucker... OMG that is SOOOO perfect! My favorite scene in any movie ever!

Oh- and to remain topic oriented... no, they weren't playing Uno at the truck stop diner!

For those who don't know- I've been down in Melbourne, Florida, for 2 weeks now. I have a friend in the hospital and since I was at home waiting for my husband to come pick me up to go back on the road, we decided I may as well wait down here.

So, after failed attempts to go diving down here... I'm going tomorrow with Cudachaser and two OW students to Blue Springs. I WILL be bringing the ScubUNO cards with me- hey- it's a spring. Can't be THAT different from a quarry, right? I'll find out and let you know.

Plus, ScubUNO is fun. No denying it.

Hmm... I'm travelling to Japan to visit my significant buddy, but apparently the temperatures are going to be too cold for her to consider diving. I don't think I can justify carrying all my gear there to do a solo dive, but it pains me to not be able to have the first Japanese ISOSAD dive.

I guess I should just order a T-shirt for J. for Christmas. :wink:

Too bad you won't be able to get a game in while you are there and spread the ISOSAD joy....

Speaking of too cold - the water is that here as well. But there's some pool dives planned for the near future that will include a game!

By the way, while we're all sitting around letting our cards dry out, I've been thinking about better ways to handle the draw and discard piles. It's just too annoying to use those snap rings. Open your hand's ring, pull a card, close your hand's ring, set your cards down (or hold them, or clip them off, or...), open the discard pile's ring, add your card, close the discard pile's ring... etc... etc..

So, what I was thinking was that it ought to be possible to build a draw/discard pile holder out of lexan (or other clear plastic). You'd load the draw deck on one side, and you'd discard into the other, which would have to be clear plastic so you can see the top card, of course. Anyway, it'd be a lot simpler than using rings on the deck, and it'd be fairly easy to pass around, too, which could perhaps even make the player's hand's rings unneccesary.

It'd have to be able to hold two standard decks (i.e. 108 cards, the max for UNO or any two-decks-with-jokers game) on each side. The design I was thinking of fabricating for testing would hold two stacks side by side. If you stand two card deck boxes upright shoulder-to-shoulder, the opening would be in the top so you could lift cards out of the draw side (which would have a thumb cutout to be able to grab the card) and drop it into the discard side.

I suppose you could also do it as a divided single box, too. Perhaps that would work better. If the draw/discard separator were movable, you'd only have to make the box big enough for one double-deck of cards (which would basically cut it in half). I think I may descide to fabricate it that way, actually.

Anyway, regardless of how it's done, a draw/discard box seems like a rather logical addition to ScubUNO, eh? Too bad ISOSAD's not large enough to get these things manufactured....

Well, anyway, there's my ramble. ISOSAD members, speak up with your comments. This constitutes the official February bored meeting, after all. :D

The binder rings are annoying to deal with. Most games I've been playing we have had a "dealer" to pass around the draw cards to save time with the constant opening and closing of the binder rings.

The boxes may work better.

Or keeping with the punched cards, how about a flat bottom surface with two long pegs - one for the draw pile, one for the discard? This may make it a little harder for the current to grab a card or for them all to get spilled. Or maybe even a thin threaded metal rod (okay, a screw if you don't want to get fancy about it) for the peg to hold the cards. Then a nut cold be screwed on to keep the cards from becoming unorganized during transportation to and from the game site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom