ISO riverbed conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright guys!
I haven't been following this thread because it's out of my geographic area and, frankly, out of my skill range; but nonetheless, I just sat down and read the thread. I have to tell you guys, I am entertained.

John, I am glad you had a good narc going on there. That sounds kind of interesting. Sounds like you are finding all kinds of interesting crap on the bottom too. So, am I correct in assessing that the absolute bottom at Travis is at 147' ?? Just curious.

Depends on lake level of course, but here’s one way to consider it:

Lake is full at 681 msl (Ft above mean sea level)
According to the topo maps, the riverbed is around 500 msl, so when full, it may be possible to dive to 181’ somewhere (course you might have to dig through 10' of muck to get there :shakehead:) I've read of max depth being 210, but I think that is based on the historic high (710' in 1991) and not "full level" of 681.

Right now the lake is down 23 feet, which if added to the 147’ dive yesterday would have been 170 when full.

The deepest I’ve ever been in Travis was 165’ by the dam.

We need your complete dive plan.....gases used-volumes//deco schd.//dive run times//thermal wear specs.,,,, :D

Your a real funny guy:rofl3:

On Friday morning I dove at the Mansfield Park dive area to 122 feet. From 75-95 the vis is zero to 1 foot. Below that it opens up, but not like it did last week. Vis is a dark 12-15 feet, but there is a lot of particulate floating around. Water temp at 120 is 63 degrees, down from 65 degrees last week. I was getting 79 degrees at my deco stops, 30 feet and up.
That sounds about right. I didn't find any vis quite as bad as you did, but I think the vis by the dam tends to be a little worse for the most part. I felt like the vis by the boat ramp was actually pretty darn good...even at the lowest points.

So, am I correct in assessing that the absolute bottom at Travis is at 147' ?? Just curious.
Zinc is right on. There is A LOT of sediment that has filled the bottom of the lake over time. The muck is pretty deep in places...deeper than I want to find out.:wink: The deepest I've been in LT is out near Windy Point...162'. I think we could find a few more feet somewhere pretty easily.

I have hit 173ffw off WP private.

I have hit 173ffw off WP private.

Are you sure? When? Can you tell us your complete dive plan.....gases used-volumes//deco schd.//dive run times//thermal wear specs.,,,,:D

Are you sure? When? Can you tell us your complete dive plan.....gases used-volumes//deco schd.//dive run times//thermal wear specs.,,,,:D

........... :D well it's been a few years back and I am still washing the silt from that wrist mounted dive computer. :)

I completed a dive in my bath tub last night. Max depth: 19 inches. I don't think I went into deco though and I am pretty sure I was just breathing 21 O2 / 79 N2.

I completed a dive in my bath tub last night. Max depth: 19 inches. I don't think I went into deco though and I am pretty sure I was just breathing 21 O2 / 79 N2.
You really shouldn't be trying to breathe underwater, John, unless you have your SCUBA gear with you. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom