Is Verde Island worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab1412000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi guys

im planning to do verde island by the end of the month with a couple of friends.
i have read however that many years ago verde island was depleted by dynamite and cyanide fishing but has slowly recovered. i think it is now considered the most biodiverse area in the world.
when i did a search on scubaboard, i got many FR's saying that verde was in fact a GOOD dive and NOT A GREAT DIVE. that kinda took me by surprise. how can the world's most biodiverse area be a good dive only?? also most of these FR's were fairly recent...
so my question is:
1. is apo reef worth diving? and will it offer something different from your anilao dives besides the tough currents?
2. how much and with whom would you guys recommend we go (DM's , boat) if we were to do this from anilao and not PG?

cheers and thanks in advance

rob

VERDE IS A MUST SEE!!! I am not sure who says it is "good". Last time I was there it ROCKED!!

When I was there, it was by far the best dive of PG! And just to say, PG has some great dives!!!! It simply blew me away!:D Go for it! It had myriads of fish, invertebrates in unbelievable numbers! it was mind boggling. If had my way, every dive I would do in PG would be on the Verde Island wall. But I am only talking about the "Verde island wall" dive site, There are 2-3 others there which are not know to be as good. So if I was doing a multi dive trip, I'd make sure every dive was on the wall (just make shallower consecutive profiles) if possible...

Have fun!:coffee:

To answer the question of "who says"....

I did not do Verde Island when I was in Puerto Galera last June. Ethei at Dive Dojo said it wasn't worth the trip even though I was willing to pay extra to go because I had heard so much about it. I asked repeatedly and was told repeatedly "not that great".

Interesting since I know two of the posters who replied here know him quite well and have an opposite opinion...

When I was there, it was by far the best dive of PG! And just to say, PG has some great dives!!!! It simply blew me away!:D Go for it! It had myriads of fish, invertebrates in unbelievable numbers! it was mind boggling. If had my way, every dive I would do in PG would be on the Verde Island wall. But I am only talking about the "Verde island wall" dive site, There are 2-3 others there which are not know to be as good. So if I was doing a multi dive trip, I'd make sure every dive was on the wall (just make shallower consecutive profiles) if possible...

Have fun!:coffee:
San Agapito and Washing Machine (different from PG) come to mind....

Rab, I dive with Divenet (Joy and Hernel), daytrip (3 dives) to Verde from Aquaventure.

Another vote for YES it is worth it. As said before best dives in the PG range.

Done it several times now and always ensure its on the itinery for every PG trip. Definetly worth the extra.

Never done it from Anilao so can't comment on costs.

The qty and diversity of life there makes it a very special day out.

Mat.

Looks like I received "bad advice" :shakehead:

I'll have to make sure to find someone to take me there next time I make it down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom